Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Marti report any I'm looking for some help. I've got a standard sportsroof (9F02F*).

"Sports Appearance Group with Tape Stripe" What does this include?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried Marti, but they were useless. I even volunteered to pay the $45 for the original invoice hoping they'd list it like they do the Mach1's where all the items that are included in the package are "NC". They didn't think it would.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
This 69 Sportsroof has the tape stripe, Limited Edition 600 Restoration - Part 20 click the pics for larger photos. The stripe goes on the body line from the front fenders to just past the side scoops.

I'm not sure of all the stuff in the group but it would include the hood scoop and dual racing mirrors. Did the Marti report list the wheels the car had? One of the styled steel wheel options may have been part of that group.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the great link. That is certainly helpful. The additional options on the vehicle were (as listed on the Marti Report):

Black-Out Hood Treatment
C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission
E78x14 Tires
White Sidewall Tires
Power Steering
Air Conditioner - Selectaire
AM Radio
Tined Glass - Complete
Color Keyed Racing Mirrors
Wheel Covers

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thx for the great link. That is certainly helpful. The additional options on the vehicle were (as listed on the Marti Report):

Black-Out Hood Treatment
C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission
E78x14 Tires
White Sidewall Tires
Power Steering
Air Conditioner - Selectaire
AM Radio
Tined Glass - Complete
Color Keyed Racing Mirrors
Wheel Covers
If you're wondering what the wheel covers looked like here's another link to the same website with another 69 Sportsroof, look at the bottom pic 1969 Mustang Sportroof Page

This guy really has a great website.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Those rims look like the same ones the 68 gt had but with a plan center cap.
They are, those wheels were available in 68 and 69. Non GTs with both years got plain center caps.

The rims were only available in argent (silver paint) in 68 but in 69 they were available in either argent or chrome.

I like the look of those rims and put them on my 68
the only thing is I bought the chrome ones since I prefer them over the argent, plus I'm only going for the original look, not concourse, so with them not being 100% correct for my car it doesn't bother me. The wheels on my car are the repro "kit" you see in the Mustang catalogs for about $700 that includes the rims, hubcaps, trim rings, and lug nuts. They're made by Scott Drake, very high quality repro, not cheezy at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you order your rims from.

Any idea who would have the stripe set that I'd need or even what color it would be on Silver Jade?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Where did you order your rims from.

Any idea who would have the stripe set that I'd need or even what color it would be on Silver Jade?

I bought the rims last spring from Classic Mustang which is local to me in Southington, CT. It's the same kit that all the suppliers carry like NPD and Mustang's Unlimited.

I have no idea where to find the stripe kit. The guy in the link above with the Sportsroof found some stripe kits on ebay but still had to have sections custom made as the stripe kits had lost thier adhesive in areas. A sign graphics place may be able to do something close in vinyl adhesive.

As for the color I'd imagine it would be dark as the Silver Jade is a lighter color. Black may look good and match the blacked out hood. You can try looking in the door jambs and behind the fenders for remains of the original stripes. There may have been an accent color too, like a three stripe, possibly black/white/black.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the master ford parts catalog from 65-72, it lists this stripe as "type 15" out of 26 different types used on ford vehicles during that time frame. It's only on the 69 model year except on the Falcon where it appears to have been used in 70 as well.

It breaks down the mustang 63A body style as follows:
Black w/ red center - C9ZZ 6320000-T
White w/ gold center - C9ZZ 6320000-U
White w/ red center - C9ZZ 6320000-S

It breaks down the mustang coupe (65A or 65C) as follows:
Black w/ red center - C9ZZ 6520000-W
White w/ gold center - C9ZZ 6520000-X
White w/ red center - - C9ZZ 6520000-V

I still have no idea which color would be correct for use on top of silver jade with black interior.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
In the master ford parts catalog from 65-72, it lists this stripe as "type 15" out of 26 different types used on ford vehicles during that time frame. It's only on the 69 model year except on the Falcon where it appears to have been used in 70 as well.

It breaks down the mustang 63A body style as follows:
Black w/ red center - C9ZZ 6320000-T
White w/ gold center - C9ZZ 6320000-U
White w/ red center - C9ZZ 6320000-S

It breaks down the mustang coupe (65A or 65C) as follows:
Black w/ red center - C9ZZ 6520000-W
White w/ gold center - C9ZZ 6520000-X
White w/ red center - - C9ZZ 6520000-V

I still have no idea which color would be correct for use on top of silver jade with black interior.
Well, honestly I feel the 63A black w/red center (C9ZZ 6320000-T) would look the best. It may sound wierd with a red accent stripe on a green car but the other choices don't seem "right" for lack of a better word.

With the Silver Jade being a light color the white/gold would look "washed out or pale" I think. Not much contrast and nothing gold on the car to compliment, atleast the black would match the hood.

The white/red on a green car just sounds "Christmas" to me.:shigrin

This is only my opinion though. It would be interesting to see what others think. As I mentioned in the other post you may get lucky and find some remains of the original stripes somewhere too. Bottom line though is it's your car and you'll have to look at it more than we will so choose what YOU like.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bottom line though is it's your car and you'll have to look at it more than we will so choose what YOU like.
I think you are right that the Black-Red-Black is the most appropriate of the 3. But with out a legible build sheet there is just no way to know for sure. It's my understanding that the Limited 600s actually came with triple whites or triple blacks as well. I see nothing documented on these vehicles so Ford could have done anything with them.

If I have to guess between the 3, I'll just pass on it and go triple black. A triple black with the black out hood treatment would be the best visually anyways. But I'll keep an open mind until we get into the exterior refinishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.