Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a 1967 Mustang 289 with automatic transmission. I have 800 miles on a rebuilt transmission and it is still under warranty.
Recently when starting I heard a grinding noise, I shut the car down and restarted but the starter would just spin and not engage the flywheel. The old starter was damaged and I found parts in the area shown as #1 in the photo. I put a new starter in, the car started but heard the grinding noise again. Removed the new starter and found more parts in the starter flywheel area shown as #2 in the photo. I removed these parts and reinstalled the starter, the car started but once again a grinding noise. Obviously more parts found their way into the starter flywheel area.
Looking online it appears these parts are from the sprag roller which is part of the transmission? How screwed am I?
Thanks for any info.
Font Material property Household hardware Auto part Metal

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cobra, I reached out to Grinbrand but I may have solved the problem.
I kept removing and installing the new starter. After each time I had more parts show up and would clean them out. After the 4th install I got no noise. Restarted 10 times, still no noise. I believe these parts were from the old starter and not the tranny. First time for me where a bad starter would spew out parts like this. I am hopeful this was the solution.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The guts of the trans are well behind the flex plate, torque converter, and the front wall of the trans. The parts you found were from the started clutch unit. This is the unit that allows the flex plate to spin faster than the starter at the moment of engine start. You just did not clean out the bell housing. You should have dropped the lower inspection plate and gotten all the spit out parts when you pulled the old started. You should inspect the flex plate and converter for dents. A hole in the converter would have caused a big leak, so doubt there is a hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts