Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally gotten fed up with my tri spoke wheels and I've decided to spray paint them. I was just wondering if someone could give me a step by step process in how to do this. I'm going to put down what i think the order is but if anybody has any changes or suggestions, they are all much appreciated. Also, I am going to be using rust-oleum gloss paint if anybody has any experience with it or pics of how it came out.

Step 1) Clean the wheels with a strong cleaner

Step 2) Sand down wheels using a rapid strip disc (Norton Rapid Strip 4 in. x 1 in. Extra-Coarse Non-Woven Disc - 01220 at The Home Depot) and a 3M medium sanding block

Step 3) Clean with a tack cloth

Step 4) Spray with primer and let dry

Step 5) Use tack cloth again and then spray with first coat of spray paint and let dry

Step 6) Use tack cloth again and then spray with clear coat.

Again, any suggestions or pics of spray painted wheels are welcomed and I will post pictures of a step by step process tomorrow. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am afraid that using the rapid strip disc will be overkill, do you think it will be?

·
Registered
506 Posts
it wont eat though the rim, just keep it moving and sand it down with progressively finer paper until it is good enough to paint

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finished and they look awesome! Pics will be up later tomorrow probably. just one last question: I finished them at around 4:00. Will they be okay to drive on tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it wasn't humid today so they should be good. Thanks again, pics of step-by-step instructions and finished wheels will be up tomorrow :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Did you use an etch primer or regular primer? I process quite a few rims.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a regular primer, they look great. I forgot about this thread lol, I'll put pics up soon

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yeah good ole Tapatalk doesn't show dates when browsing...I logged in a found I brought up an old one, sorry all.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I know! Literally making a separate thread now about it. Sorry!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts