Ford Mustang Forum banner

Square set up 19x9 Boss LS wheels. What tires?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Norm Peterson 
#1 ·
My car is lowered with FRPP P springs (1" front and back). Also, I have an auto with 3.31 gears and this car is my dd. I have searched and found basically that my options are:

255/40/19
275/40/19
275/35/19
285/35/19

Opinions on any of these?

#2 ·
275/40/19 will be 27.6 inches tall, more like stock. The 35s will be about an inch shorter. This drops your car another half inch. The shorter tire will help with your gearing, but you may have to adjust your speedometer with a tuner.

I wouldn't go with the 255s on a 9 inch rim.

#4 ·
I should clarify, if you have 9" rims, why not go with a wider tire?

#11 ·
8.5" is the bare minimum width for 255/40's and is definitely "squeezed" down to fit there. A legitimate fit, sure. But this is definitely not a better fit than on 9".

9" is actually the measuring width, which from an appearance perspective provides the sidewall shape that this size tire is supposed to have (a 40-profile tire should never, ever try to look like the 75 and higher profile tires of the 1960's and 1970's). Chances are that the tire was designed to be mounted on its measuring width, with the idea that a little variation either way remains acceptable.

9.5" and 10" would technically be "stretches" for a 255/40, but still acceptable. 9.5" would be at least as acceptable as 8.5", technically.

If what you posted is true, Ford has apparently skewed their priorities in the direction of softer ride quality at some sacrifices in cornering/handling/steering precision. Frankly, I don't understand this shift in thinking, given that in 2008 Ford was mounting the 235/50 tires on 8.5" wide wheels and the 255/45's for the GT500 on 9.5's. 20mm more tire section than my 235's, with probably that much more tread width . . . think GT500-width front tires on regular GT wheels . . . just doesn't sound like a good move for a car with 'sporting' intent.

Norm

Reactions: cpembach1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.