Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Hope someone can help.
For the last couple of weeks I've been hearing squeaking sound from the engine, the hotter the engine gets the louder the sound gets. I thought it was the alternator even though it's only 13 months old, but swapped it out with a spare.
But it wasn't that, so my next guess that it's the water pump.

So before I order one, I would like some other opinions on what it could be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0qf8bdjxv36g9n/20170603_202844.mp4?dl=0

Best regards from Denmark :grin:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Before you go any further, spray some WD 40 on the fan belt at the pulleys.
If the squeak stops, all you need to do is change the belt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound like a belt, more like a bearing. When the motor is cold, maybe take the belts off one at a time and run it for a few seconds and see if the noise is still there. Seems more like it's on the driver's side but does it have power steering?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the summer is over here i DK, so it's time to get to the bottom off this..

Here's what I've tried.
All new v-belts
Changed a pulley, with a not too good bearing.
Had all v-belts off one at the time to check, water pump, power steering and generator.

The sound comes from the left side of the engine..

Still no luck:frown:

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
IMHO...that is a mechanical based sound...generated from internally...harmonic type that echo's.......time to get a stethoscope or a long handled screwdriver to listen

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Driver side down low could be fuel pump....listen to it specifically. To be honest I did not hear anything but an engine running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might have found the problem. :smile:

I've had a long screwdriver on everything on the engine, couldn't find it.
I borrowed a Stetoskop, and went over it again and listende to the fuel pump as Silver69 suggested and found the same pitch/squeaking just not as loud. So to be absolut sure about where it came from, I vent out and bought a digital one og can't find the sound anywhere else. :smile:

So in about 2 or 3 weeks when the new pumps get here, I'll find out if it's the fuel pump or not. :grin:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Awesome news man at least you found some traces of the noise to start working from. I had a Holley pump do that and it drove me nuts because my engine was like yours (not loud) so I could hear it. I hope you get it licked sir good luck. Listen to it with a piece of rubber hose like 1/4" to 3/8" fuel line.....it will become very clear where its originating from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts