Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one in specific: W120-4 Mustang SSBC Front Disc Brake Kit At The Wheels 6 Cylinder 1964-1966 | CJ Pony Parts

For my 1965 6-cylinder Mustang Coupe. The wheels have 4 lugs and I have no desire or need to convert to 5 lugs.

I know the popular opinion for disc brake conversions is Scarebird, but I've been dealing with them for the last couple months and it isn't working out. I don't mind if I have to spend a little more money, I just want to get the brakes over with and know that they'll keep me safe. From reading these forums it seems that the Scott Drake kits have a bad reputation, but they are the only other option I've considered since I will not be using Scarebird.

What do you think of the above kit?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ronson,

Yes I'm planning to get a dual bowl master cylinder for extra safety.

Is there one route that you would recommend more than another when it comes to the brakes? I have done a lot of research but am still baffled as to what I should do.

·
Banned
828 Posts
Hi Ronson,

Yes I'm planning to get a dual bowl master cylinder for extra safety.

Is there one route that you would recommend more than another when it comes to the brakes? I have done a lot of research but am still baffled as to what I should do.
abs and ssbc and willwood has xlnt stuff.

you need a disc/drum master with around a 15/16" piston. they are $50.00. i can give you the part number if you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
abs and ssbc and willwood has xlnt stuff.

you need a disc/drum master with around a 15/16" piston. they are $50.00. i can give you the part number if you want.
a part number would be much appreciated.

I also have no knowledge as to how to install a kit, is there anywhere to find instructions on that?

And how will I know what wheels will work with the kit I buy? I currently have the 14" stock wheels and I want to buy different ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty much any wheels should work with that kit. A friend of mine bought the SSBC kit for her '65, but hasn't installed it yet. We looked at everything at the Pomona Swap Meet before buying, it looked like quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I installed SSBC on the front of my '66 289 C4 (5-lug) years ago and had no problems with the install and none since. The kit came with a single bowl M/C, larger capacity than the one that came on the car.

However, as I've described in postings on this forum, I can't say the same about their rear kit. I'm finally about ready to start test driving it after several months, although several of which were due to it being too cold to work on the car. The biggest problem I had is that there was no way the parking brake bracket they supplied would work. Yes, it's entirely possible I just couldn't figure out how to make it work, but others have had the same problem. SSBC support was no help whatsoever. I finally made my own brackets.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I upgraded my 200 CI 14" 4-lug convertible to front power assist disk brakes last year. I purchased my kit from Summit Racing (link below). I suspect it's a rebranded SSBC kit, but it's priced a little lower. The kit has everything you need for the upgrade. The only thing missing from the Summit kit was a bracket to mount the proportioning valve (my friend who did most of the installation for me fabbed one). I've been driving with it for over a year now and I'm happy with this upgrade. I have pics of the installation as well as some insights, if you're interested.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1223

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty much any wheels should work with that kit. A friend of mine bought the SSBC kit for her '65, but hasn't installed it yet. We looked at everything at the Pomona Swap Meet before buying, it looked like quality stuff.
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the SSBC kit.

The SSBC kit says it works with wheels that have a 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern, but the wheels I wanted to get have a 4 x 4.3 bolt pattern, which would fit, but supposedly can cause problems when braking due to vibrations from the slight size difference. or so I read online. :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I upgraded my 200 CI 14" 4-lug convertible to front power assist disk brakes last year. I purchased my kit from Summit Racing (link below). I suspect it's a rebranded SSBC kit, but it's priced a little lower. The kit has everything you need for the upgrade. The only thing missing from the Summit kit was a bracket to mount the proportioning valve (my friend who did most of the installation for me fabbed one). I've been driving with it for over a year now and I'm happy with this upgrade. I have pics of the installation as well as some insights, if you're interested.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1223
I saw that kit as well. It is currently more expensive than then SSBC kit, and I'm not knowledgable enough to see if it includes anything I'd need that the SSBC kit doesn't have - besides the master cylinder. I'm going to buy a dual bowl master cylinder anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed SSBC on the front of my '66 289 C4 (5-lug) years ago and had no problems with the install and none since. The kit came with a single bowl M/C, larger capacity than the one that came on the car.

However, as I've described in postings on this forum, I can't say the same about their rear kit. I'm finally about ready to start test driving it after several months, although several of which were due to it being too cold to work on the car. The biggest problem I had is that there was no way the parking brake bracket they supplied would work. Yes, it's entirely possible I just couldn't figure out how to make it work, but others have had the same problem. SSBC support was no help whatsoever. I finally made my own brackets.
That's good to know!

A lack of parking brakes could be a problem.. Hopefully if their part for it doesn't work I can manage to find one elsewhere..

·
Registered
547 Posts
I saw that kit as well. It is currently more expensive than then SSBC kit, and I'm not knowledgable enough to see if it includes anything I'd need that the SSBC kit doesn't have - besides the master cylinder. I'm going to buy a dual bowl master cylinder anyway.

The SSBC kit doesn't appear to contain the power booster or the M/C for $734 The Summit kit has everything you need, including the booster and M/C, that is guaranteed to fit the system for $799.

Good luck with your upgrade, whichever kit you decide to use.

·
Banned
828 Posts
hello

you cannot run 4.3 bolt wheels.

you need the master cyl i suggested or one similar. you can not run a single bowl unless it is a disc brake master and you run a residual valve for the rear brakes.

you also must have an adjustable proportioning valve.

correct non power master

raybestos mc36440 15/16 piston, lt side port, disc/drum. 63.00
http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-MC36440-Professional-Master-Cylinder/dp/B000C71J92

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,27,partnum,MC36440,d,RAYBESTOS_MC36440.html

misc
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Raybestos-MC36440-Brake-Master-Cylinder-/74384748

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hello

you cannot run 4.3 bolt wheels.

you need the master cyl i suggested or one similar. you can not run a single bowl unless it is a disc brake master and you run a residual valve for the rear brakes.

you also must have an adjustable proportioning valve.

correct non power master

raybestos mc36440 15/16 piston, lt side port, disc/drum. 63.00
Amazon.com: Raybestos MC36440 Professional Grade Brake Master Cylinder: Automotive

RAYBESTOS Part # MC36440

misc
Raybestos MC36440 Brake Master Cylinder - Professional Grade | eBay

You linked 3 master cylinders. Will any one of them work?
Is the proportioning valve something that you could link me to as well?

Thank you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts