Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s hard not to love the look of 12" wide meats on the back of the Mustang & for obvious reasons something narrower must be run on the front. I had a staggered setup on my last car (factory) and the inability to rotate plus the fact that performance tire seem to wear more quickly has put me on the fence on whether I want to do this again. Not being able to rotate and having corner specific rubber was the $$ price to pay.

Operating cost is something as well as not adversely affect the handling is something I want to evaluate before spending thousands on the wrong upgrade. If I need to buy tires every 8,000 miles (that’s about what I got on my last car with Michelin Pilot Sport 2, then Continental ContiSport), then it’s going to take longer to buy the supercharger and LT headers I want. The last thing I want is to screw up the great (stock) handling.

Chime in on your thoughts on the following points of a staggered wheel & tire setup:

1. What about daily driving, alignment or negative effects on stock handling?
  2. Do you think the setup effectively “doubles” tire cost (due to inability to rotate)?
  3. Do you run a staggered setup now, if not will you (assume it's not your winter tires)?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have been looking into this as well... not a fan of the pizza cutter width tires that come on the GT/CS... 245-45-19
If I could find some wheels I like I might change, I like the wheels on the GT/CS... Looking at putting some Nitto's NT05
245-40-19 on the front and 275-35-19 on the back...
Back to your question... The SVT package for the GT500 uses staggered wheels, that might be a size to start from... If I could find a decent 20 that has a weight less then 20 pounds I would go 20s... I found some 19's less then 20 pounds but all are cheaply made by some guy named J.A.Pan, gravity cast aluminum is a scary thought...
Staggered wheels, more cost...

·
Registered
725 Posts
But your not gonna get that much of a stagger if the wheels are the same width.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The first car I ever owned back in the early/mid nineties was an '88 Chrysler Conquest. It came with 245s in the back and 225s in the front on staggered rims. I went through a couple sets of rear tires a year on that car, but I was a teenager back then. I also had slicks and skinnies on a '99 SS but I kept the factory rims for everyday driving.

I like the look of the staggered wheels on these new Mustangs. I saw a picture of one that had the staggered wheels from American Muscle that looked amazing, but I can't find it now. It was the factory style 19x8.5 and 19x10 like in the link below...
Hypercoated 2010 GT Premium Wheel 05-11 (19x10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Also, the GT500 looks good with the staggered 19s. I'm not sure what any weights are.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Staggered only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you go staggered then you won't be able to rotate them normally.

Staggered wheels do look awesome though(Check the car above).

·
Registered
616 Posts
just buy tires that aren't directional so you can at least rotate them side to side.

I'm actually a fan of the BE wheels they have on tirerack and they are a staggard wheel. 19x8.5-Front 10x9.5-rear. They are also only ~23lbs per wheel.

BE by Breyton GTS-AV Hyper Silver

·
Registered
997 Posts
1. unless you putting an extreme set of skinnies on the front there shouldn't be any negative DD, alignment, or handling issues

2. effect on cost (over time) of replacing tires depends on how quickly to get to 8,000 miles, 8k every year = ouch, 8k every three years = not so bad

3. yes, 255's and 285's, see below

I didn't even consider keeping the 235-50-18 Pirellis that came on my 400A and had the dealer swap in a set of '10 GT500 brand new takeoff wheels and tires. The wheels are 18" by 9.5" all the way around, the front tires are 255-45's and the backs are 285-40's. Besides the OEM staggered configuration, LRS offers a replica set of these wheels with 275-40's at all four corners. I'm leaning towards keeping the 285's in the back and bumping the fronts to 275's (for increased handling) when I need tires. My second choice is to keep the current setup b/c having the 285 in the back is most important to me personally. But based on the mileage I put on each year it'll be awhile before I have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your answers so far. The directional / non-directional tire turned a light on for me - I guess I assumed most performance tires these days are directional. Looking at Nittos NT555 for example the 'tech' info does not mention it but they look to be directional.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Done the staggered thing. Swaping side to side does nothing for shoulder wear(fronts mostly). If tires are directional you can only swap side to side if you pay for a remount. When my 255s wear out on my '11 I'm just going 275 all around.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i have 255's out front and 285's out bk, wh/ is pretty normal. some will run a 305 on a 10 or 10.5 in the bk but that may rub if you go to low.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have 315's in the rear and 275's in the front. nt05's no problem with daily driving them, i always keep in my mind what rubber costs. since i live in south texas its my winter setup as well. im lucky because my roomate works at a tire shop so rims and tires were only 1200 new.

i will say though i need to lower the car some because they only have nt05s 315s for 17" rims. also with the different size i need an adjustable panhard to recenter the axel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Done the staggered thing. Swaping side to side does nothing for shoulder wear(fronts mostly). If tires are directional you can only swap side to side if you pay for a remount. When my 255s wear out on my '11 I'm just going 275 all around.

I am still waiting on my '11 GT with Brembos, but living in N. Texas, pop-up thunderstorms, ice and snow are inevitable. I was considering going from the 255/40/19 stock to 275/40/19 on all 4, similar to what you are talking about. Is there any clearance issues in the front, or rear for that matter, at this size? I looked at the specs from TireRack and the differences don't seem to be a huge difference. Do you know others that have the 275s on now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.