Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year, I will be in the market for new tires, which means new wheels. My stock PP wheels will be my Autocross racing wheel/tire setup with Hoosiers.

Which leads me to getting a custom set of wheels for my day to day aggressive summer driving ;) I will be going Nitto Invos, so a mix and match of wheel size and width is a non-issue.

The stock setup perfectly distributes load to the ground to each tire really equally, giving hardly any (if at all) understeer/oversteer in corners. What my real question is, is how will a staggered set of wheels/tires affect the overall balance that the stock setup is tuned so perfectly for?

Would I be better off going all 20x10's? Or would a staggered 19x8.5 + 20x10 with different tire diameters have no affect in the balance of stock understeer and oversteer?

The obvious benefit of going staggered is for fuel efficiency and rear grip, so I would like to do staggered, but not at the cost of getting understeer/oversteer. I'd gladly take the 20x10s around to preserve it if need be.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a staggered option I was looking at:

(left are the fronts, right is the rear)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The cars stock suspension is balanced just right with the tires all being the same size.

I believe you would get a push if you go staggered.

My suggestion is 18x8.5 or 18x9 with 255/45/18 all around, tires having almost identical diameter and width to the stock 19x8.5 and 255/40/19 combo.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cars stock suspension is balanced just right with the tires all being the same size.

I believe you would get a push if you go staggered.

My suggestion is 18x8.5 or 18x9 with 255/45/18 all around, tires having almost identical diameter and width to the stock 19x8.5 and 255/40/19 combo.
Even if you were to slap a supercharger in your car? I was also thinking about looking ahead for a nice option that would grip the bolt on hp.

Here is a "closer to stock" staggered option:

The 20 is extremely close to the height of the stock 255/40-19 tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts