Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a little problem here. My stang is bone stock, and it always has been hard to start after it is warm. But now its almost impossible to start warm. What I had to do before was floor it and then it would start. Now I floor it, it starts then dies or bogs and blows white and black smoke. It now takes about 5 minutes of the flooding, reving the sh*t out of it, and dropping the clutch to get it moving. If the car is cold, no problem, starts right up.

A strong smell of fuel is present and the wierd thing is after about 10 miles it just vanishes and drives normal. I have noticed on the last couple of runs it now it either hesitates and then goes, or burps and sputters if I try to accel on the road. That too goes away after time.

Since its intermediate, meaning it stops after a while, I am thinking its something like a sensor that is getting dirty or what not. I already cleaned the MAF and AIT sensors. Anyone got anything? At all?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would do a full tune up and check / set the timing . Also you may want to check the fuel pressure . You may have an injector that is sticking open and after it get's cycled a few times it starts working correctly . You could also try a fuel system cleaner .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am sort of at a lost. This is what I have done so far. I replaced the stator, cleaned the MAF, AIT, TPS and IAV. Cleaned, buffed and polished throttle body and air meter body. Changed fuel filter, ran injector cleaner and installed BBK CIA fenderwell system. Replaced plugs, wires, caps and rotor with MSD, installed MSD blaster coil.

It still has the problems, when it is hot it starts then dies immedialty after I shut it off to get gas or something. About after 20-30 times of this it finally starts but keeps spitting and sputtering wanting to die. Immediatly afterwards on the road if I slowly let into it, nothing, but if I take my foot off and stab it, hesitation and sputtering then acceleration, although this goes away after about ten miles. Now sometimes i have noticed it revving high when I get home for work, push in the clutch and it sits there at 1500 or 2000 slowly climbing down after about 30 seconds. This symptom is new and leads me to think its for sure fuel related. My next step is to change the fuel pressure regulator and injectors.

The thing is all these problems are sparatic expect the starting and dies after it is hot. I am about to drive this thing off a cliff if my wife doesnt kill me first for spending all this money on a "dont worry about it work car"

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would also suspect the pressure regulator .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.