Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1964 1/2 289 convertible that has not started in a few weeks. Yesterday I went to jump-start it and as it turned over I saw smoke comming from the Starter Relay behind the battery, so I stopped trying to jump it immediately.

My question is this. Is it safe for me to jump start my car in order to drive it to my car mechanics shop (about 15 miles), or do I have to have it towed?

My other question is..is this relay the only problem or is it most likely part of a bigger problem. I'm not a car-guy, but this relay looks like something that even I can replace.

My car has always run great. This first started a few weeks ago when my car sat outside in the hot sun for a few hours with hood up at a car show. I went to leave and it was dead. I needed a jump, and it hasn't started since.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Look carefully at the ends of the cables connected to the relay. Corrosion may have crept back under the insulation. If it was smoking, you should see evidence of what got hot. The relay itself is easy to replace and inexpensive. I'd investigate before having it towed, you may be able to fix this one yourself.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you decide to tackle this yourself, be sure to remove one of the battery cables first. You don't want to be working on what COULD be a hot circuit. If you are not comfortable working with the electrical system, just go ahead and remove the battery, so then you'll be certain you won't get surprised. Take care to notice which way the battery goes in, before you take it out, since you don't want to hook up the cables backwards. I find taking pictures helps.

As Explorer said, this is an easy fix. If you take a pic of the relay before you start, just reproduce what you see with the new relay. :)

Try to avoid buying the new part at any of the "big box" parts stores. It won't last long. I've had good luck with Napa but even their stuff is getting cheaper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Battery dead.

Well, sounds like your problem started with the battery dying with the hood open for several hours. Is that correct? Seems like your battery was on the verge of failing and being at the car show was the trigger, but there is not much to drain your battery with just the hood open. Did you have a car stereo on or interior lights? Next you said the starter relay was smoking when you tried to jump the battery. Does the relay or solonoid have a good ground to the inner fender? I would start by taking the battery to someone who can load test the battery and determine the state of charge, otherwise you are just guessing at the problem. Please post and let us all know what you found to fix your Stang's problem. Good hunting! Desert Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts