Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 302 with a 50oz flywheel, the transmission is an 89 borg warner T-5. The engine builder said he thinks its a 157 tooth flywheel. I have a powermax starter that wont disengage the flywheel, I have tried a 79, 82, and a 89 stock starter from Advance Auto. The 79 and 82 wont mount flush to the tranny and the 89 mounts flush but wont disengage either. I have tried shims and that dosnt work either. Someone suggested that I may have to change the flywheel but there must be a starter that will 1. mount flush and 2. work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has had this problem before.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmm.. I know that the 79 302 non-ho used a ten inch clutch and I thought it used a 28 oz flywheel. The 87-93 used a 10.5 inch clutch and a 50 oz flywheel. Now that I said that I am wondering if me running my 85 bellhousing with my 10.5inch flywheel will mess up my starter! Yikes!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have good news and bad news. The good - you aren't the only one having starter problems, you are not alone. See my dilemma below. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/177368-need-correct-starter-info-1991-mustang-lx.html Now the bad, from what I have learned over the past few days with my scenario, is that you probably don't have what you think you have. For example, you cannot assume you have a 157 tooth flywheel which is standard on most Fox bodys. Pull the inspection plate and count. Also, you need to check your bellhousing. A standard T-5 aluminum Ford bell housing with a 157 tooth flywheel SHOULD take a regular Ford starter. If your starters aren't even mounting flush, what kind of bellhousing do you have? If you have some other bellhousing, such as Lakewood, that will make a difference too. Once you figure out exactly what you have, a speed shop like Hanlon Motorsports who have qualified tech personnel should be able to tell you what you need. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.