Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter wont disengage

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ixtlan 
#1 ·
Hi all I hope someone can help me.

I have a 66 mustang coupe 3spd automatic. The problem started with the teeth on my starter breaking off. I replaced the starter and eventually the torque converter, it was bent which I think caused the problem with the starter. I got it all back together and tried to start it, but the starter will not disengage. Its like it is stuck. I got a new ignition switch, but it is still doing the same thing. Its almost as if it is working at the beginning, but then after turning it over a couple of times it sticks again. I never got the car running, its taking a while because it has not run for about 5 months now.

If anyone has any suggetions for me I am at a dead end right now. Thanks

#2 ·
Get a new starter

The part that makes it disingage is actually in the starter, it has probably gone bad, did you try a new starter? There are no broken teeth on the flywheel right?

#4 ·
ypsidave said:
I've had the starter tested and it showed to be ok. The flywheel looked good no teeth missing there. Is it possible something is shorting out or maybe a wiring problem?
The selinoid may be stuck, try hitting it (selinoid) while it is engaged.
It is the relay that spins the motor.
The other part that may be the culprit is the starter clutch (The part with the teeth) may be bad, but I doubt it. That usually fails to engage when bad.
Hope this helps.

#5 ·
If by "won't disengage" you mean that after you return the key in the ignition switch to the "run" position from the "start" position the starter keeps running, then the problem is most likely in the starter solenoid, as has already been suggested in an earler post. It is located on the inner fender near the battery rather than being integral to the starter the way it is on other vehicles. It's an easy fix. I used to keep a spare in the trunk and have been known to change one out in a couple of minutes.

On the other hand if you release the key and the starter stops running but the teeth stay engaged with the teeth on the flywheel then the culprit is the bendix. It is notoriously a weak link in the Ford starter system and the problem might not show up on the test bench unless the starter is allowed to get hot. Your description of the problem occurring only after the starter turns over a few times is what makes me even mention this possibility. I had an old LTD that would start fine when the engine was cold but the bendix would not stay engaged when the engine was hot because of the proximity of the starter to the exhaust manifold.

I hope this helps.

#6 ·
I knocked on the seleniod while it was trying to start. The noise that sounded like the starter not disengaging stopped. I tried it a couple of times and still have not had any other problems. So thanks a lot for the advise hopefully this ends my troubles.

#7 ·
ypsidave said:
I knocked on the seleniod while it was trying to start. The noise that sounded like the starter not disengaging stopped. I tried it a couple of times and still have not had any other problems. So thanks a lot for the advise hopefully this ends my troubles.
I would suggest replacing the relay anyway. Murphys law will catch up some day.
But good to hear that is what it was.
Easy Fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.