Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this ones got me stumped....get in car no electrical power, not even interior light, thought battery must have drained, hooked up jumpers, still no power, no lights, flashers, radio anything...unhook cables again and think....just for hell of it, I turn the keys again..fires right up, turn it off try again, works interior light and everything. Now I have no idea what the problem was but I need to fix it, it has happened before and will likely happen again, any ideas? please?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
....and yes I've checked the connections:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Replace your cables and clean the grounds both battery to block and block to firewall. You could even throw in an extra one if you wanted. I usually add another block to body ground and get a neg cable with the extra lead and hook it to the ground for the headlights on the radiator support. Or your ign needs replaced.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks..extra ground sounds goods, igntion switch was my thought as well, but how would that cause a lack of interior light or 4w flashers? can it?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You might want to check the input for the main power distribution from the battery. Hook up a volt meter and do a wire wiggle test where that power wire leads in to the distribution point and back over to the battery. With the meter still hooked up and reading voltage, hit the battery case with the palm of your hand or a rubber hammer while watching the volt meter for an interruption in power. If you have a regular wet cell battery, sometimes the internal connection between either of the battery posts and the cell plates will crack and separate. Being that they are still close together and only separated by the width of the crack, intermittent opening and closing of the circuit can happen with just a bump of the battery.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to check the input for the main power distribution from the battery. Hook up a volt meter and do a wire wiggle test where that power wire leads in to the distribution point and back over to the battery. With the meter still hooked up and reading voltage, hit the battery case with the palm of your hand or a rubber hammer while watching the volt meter for an interruption in power. If you have a regular wet cell battery, sometimes the internal connection between either of the battery posts and the cell plates will crack and separate. Being that they are still close together and only separated by the width of the crack, intermittent opening and closing of the circuit can happen with just a bump of the battery.
:bigthumbsupexcellent!! well tried that and it seems to be either exactly that or the internal connection on the pos. wire where it attaches to the solenoid...best to tell which it is , is to replace the wire...now hear this:hihi: both parts (battery and cable) had been replaced by PO within last 1000 miles at a GM dealership, I guess even their parts are hit and miss

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
OMG someone took there mustang to a gm dealer? No wonder its got a WTF problem.:heha:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they put in an ac delco battery too, one too small to fill the box and all this at the biggest GM dealer in B.C's central interior...no wonder they needed a bail-out......BTW I took the cable (another GM part, no woder they need Mr. Goodwrench) off and filled the CRIMPED on connection with solder, alls good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.