Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5th times a charm? NOT!! My cars had this intermitted starting issue. I've replaced starter solenoid (fenderwall) battery, battery terminals, dist. cap/rotor msd on stock dist. with new module. I can start the car 4-5 times on/off and on 4-5 time it won't start barely cranks then drains battery. When I drive the car from a fresh start of the day I can get to the store, goto the gas station and it will crank like no tomorrow, but doesn't start. So since I've replaced so much, I know I get spark from coil to cap - cap to plugs could this be a starter issue? Its really the last thing I replace before looking into the injectors, eec, etc etc. Any insight would be highly appreciated cause this issue is giving me a tumor:cursing:!! Thanks. Jeff

·
Registered
833 Posts
Have you tried the crank and no start check list at the top of the thread page its under the info thread.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried the crank and no start check list at the top of the thread page its under the info thread.

not this time around but I'm already 200 easy in the whole so the starter would be last part before looking deeper. I also put on a TPS because I had to start gasing the car like its carbed to get it started which leads me to believe it could be the injectors or eec... I just wanted to know if anyone else had a crank no start like mine. I can fully start car, then shut it off 4-5 times. On the 4-5 time it cranks a few times then dies. I would like to think the starter being 8 years old and driven hard for 5 out of those 8 years that the starter is jus ran its coarse and is shorting out causing a no start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check or replace fuel filter if your having to pump gas pedal to start this could be your culprit.

yeah thats what Im saying but for some reason my mechanic of 8 years says its not. dead cold starts I don't have to but after shes been driven around I do. car started fine today, then died cause of a little idle issue and drained battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had the same problem on another car of mine. it turned out to be that my fuel pump relay went to ****.. whenever it got hot it would start... crank and crank and crank but nothing, so check that..

·
Registered
183 Posts
sounds like the ignition switch is going bad. they fall apart and can leave power on to something which will run the battery down. they only cost about 15 bucks. also if it is falling apart it may not be giving you the full 12 volts at the soliniod. also could just be a bad battery, check all the cells. and check the wire from the solinoid to the starter real good it could be corroded anywhere in between. just a few things you can check before you spend to much.

·
Registered
477 Posts
is the alternator charging the battery? :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.