Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago i went to start my car after i had been driving for a while and it would not start, i turned the key and nothing, no spark, it was completely dead. i let it sit for about 20 minutes and started right up. I've been driving it ever since and have not had this problem again until the other day when i went to start it and the same thing happened. I let it sit for 20 minutes and again it started back up. Don't think it's the battery because while car is dead lights and radio still work.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
joej said:
About a month ago i went to start my car after i had been driving for a while and it would not start, i turned the key and nothing, no spark, it was completely dead. i let it sit for about 20 minutes and started right up. I've been driving it ever since and have not had this problem again until the other day when i went to start it and the same thing happened. I let it sit for 20 minutes and again it started back up. Don't think it's the battery because while car is dead lights and radio still work.
Change your battery cable if they are nasty. Maybe try installing a new starter solenoid (the one on the fender apron) or make sure the existing one is tightly secured to the car. Are you getting a "clicking" when this happens?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection or a bad armature in youre starter. If it still clicks the connections are good, if not look at the selnoid or connection leading to the starter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not even make clicking sound, it is completely dead. I figure it must either be starter or battery is going because after i let it sit for 20 minutes it starts right up.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Go ahead and try tightening the bolts which secure the solenoid to the fender apron. I think they actually need a ground (read that here), which they get from their attachment points. Next time the car does this, take a screwdriver and (using the handle) try rapping on the various starting system components, and then trying to start the car. If this works, it will point out where a bad connection is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd say most likely its not your battery, because when youre car is off nothing is charging the battery, and if it goes from nothing to starting the car up, well, it just doesnt sound like a battery problem unless. However, stuff can get pricey when you assume things like that, so it never hurts to get the battery checked out. But i'd say get a DVOM and do a voltage drop on your starting circuit. I cant think of what it is called, but there is a switch in the back of your car, (if its a hatchback) right by the hatch lock. Pull that out and that will stop the car from starting and sending fuel so you dont flood your engine. Dont quote me on this but I think the only things in this circuit is the S terminal on the starter, nuetral saftery switch (if its manual) ignition switch, selnoid, and battery cables and ground. Test all these and see where you are getting high voltage at, thats where your problem is going to be at. Good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.