Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started up the car today, well tried to but nothing happened.

Turn the key and starting motor turns over but for some reason the engine doesn't turn over??

I have a 289ci qual carb set-up.. Car started everyday for the past month with no problems,

I need some ADVICE please..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Starting Problems.Please HELP

Livewire,
Do you mean the starter spins but the engine doesn't turn --- OR--- do you mean the engine turns but will not start?
Two different and separate problems.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
262 Posts
Livewire99,

O.K. Now, most of the time the culprit is a bad Bendix spring in the starter. There are other possibilities, but why look for trouble! That's where I would start. The most common fix is to replace the starter. You can replace only the Bendix spring, but a remanufactured starter is so reasonable I don't know if it's worth the trouble. My guess would be, if the Bendix spring breaks, the starter is nearing the end of it's useful life anyway, so you might as well replace the starter rather than have to do it in a short while(my .02cents).
As I stated earlier, there are other possibilities, but 95% of the time, this is the problem.
Good Luck,
Jay67fast

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jay67fast,

was thinking it might be the starter so i will change this and see what happens, fingers crossed, thanks for your advice..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.