Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted to give the community a heads up. I bought this tensioner from brenspeed.com and about a year after the install with my supershaker I noticed a belt/pulley squeak. So while I was back in Virginia before I shipped my car over to Hawaii I was getting some work done to freshen the car up for my tour in Hawaii. I asked my speed shop to look in to the source of the squeak. I figured water draining out of the supershaker skirt might have rusted out a pulley (thought it was more the idler at fault). Come to find out it was the billet pulley upgrade for the tensioner. What happend was road grime/dirt gets on your belt and the pully and wore a grove into the pulley which split/cracked my belt into three strips. So the spare belt I had bought came in handy and the shop took a factory pulley and reinstalled that into the Steeda tensioner. So just an FYI that apparently billet pulleys will wear out and crack your belts, wish I would have known that and saved the money...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Long time-no see. I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Hawaii's not a bad post. Good luck.
I'm glad you mentioned the Steeda tensioner problems. I was thinking of adding one to my car. I already have Metco pulleys and was probably going to reuse it. Hopefully, that should bypass the problem you had.

T

·
0 Posts
That sucks but thanks for the heads up. I wondered why I hadn't seen your car on post in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I doubt that the Billet pulley is what caused this issue. The Billet is a lot stronger than the stock pulley and if road dirt or grime gets on the stock pulley its going to wear faster than the billet, because its less durable/strong. Usually a squeak comes from a belt that has been on there for awhile and stretched and begins to walk, or an alignment issue that causes premature belt wear. We've run this same tensioner on our 2010 Saleen shop car that went two seasons at 660rwhp and used the same belt for an entire season at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts