Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used these delete plates and are they worth it?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not personally but I've heard good things from two guys here that I trust. It's not going to be like a crazy gain, but you should see a 5-10 rwhp gain in the upper rpm range.

I plan to do these after my axelbacks. So if you do get them, please post your thoughts. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
What HubKap Said

Yes I run them and I'm glad I did. It revs really nice and just flows so much better. Plus if you go with a Centri Supercharger in the future you will never have to worry about the Valving with the factory set up. Plus pick up about 10hp now and 13-15 for SC application.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have to run a special tune or just use the one on the SCT scanner?

·
Banned
612 Posts
you can get by with the pre-loaded stategy tune on the device (X3), but ideally you will want a better tune. I was running the strategy tune with basic bolt ons and switched to a (not very custom) custom Steeda tune and it is noticeably better.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Just to make sure I understand, if you get a different intake manifold, this part is unnecessary?

Your question is too vague. Are you talking about changing the intake manifold on the top of the block or the cold air intake? and what part are you referring to? The charge motion delete plates or what?

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
No, aftermarket intake manifolds don't have the butterfly assembly, which is what the delete plates delete.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fantastic! Like most mods, I have to ask.

If ADDING them robs the car of horsepower... why did Ford put it in? What does the butterfly assembly do?

·
Banned
612 Posts
captured from another thread, by user AmericanMuscle4.6GT:

"the original plates are designed as a manifold vacuum attenuation system. under low rpm's, they create a narrower intake runner; increasing air velocity and thus maintaining sufficient manifold vacuum. they open at 3000 RPM to "clear the way" for the increased airflow demands of the higher rpms. the effect is, they help generate low end torque and then "get out of the way" at higher rpm's. the problem is, they don't "get out of the way" well enough, and thus can restrict airflow. therefore, removing them and substituting plates with larger openings is good for some hp gains up top but torque loss down low."

- so basically it closes the size of the airway the air flows into and creates more "velocity" which is basically another word for in this case, air speed. The plates even when they are fully open are slightly restricting full or maximum flow, and the delete plates remove the butterfly valves completely so when then engine is under full load, the airflow in is less restrictive, translating into slightly more power.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No, aftermarket intake manifolds don't have the butterfly assembly, which is what the delete plates delete.
The JPC Racing intake manifold requires CMDP's, though their less expensive cast version does not. Just FYI.

JPC Racing 3V Intake Manifold

So I still have the same pair of CMDP's in there that I originally put in back in 2005.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
hmmmm . . . I thought I read somewhere that the charge motion plates were there to create turbulence aka "charge motion" in the intake that is supposed to somehow reduce emissions?

and also that "deleting" them does nothing on the low end (no loss of torque) but adds some HP on the high end . . . at least that is what Steeda claims for the delete plugs that are used for the 2009+ manifolds

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
you, uh...

you calling out my excessive use of, uh...

ellipses...?

ha ha, you don't have ellipses, you've got a string of periods

(you don't have horses, you've got coconuts!) ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts