Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock shifter wasn't doing me any favors in the scalding hot Alabama summer heat so I decided to upgrade to thet steeda cue ball shift knob. Obviously white :) I ultimately decided on the steeda knob because I didn't particularly want a company's logo on the side of the knob.

Stock shift knob came off without a problem and the steeda knob went on easily enough as well.

Here comes the pro tip:

I installed it at maybe a mid to low 80's *F ambiant temp outside but the next day after I got in my car late in the afternoon at the office, it was roasting hot in the car and when I reached down to put it in reverse, the ball was able to spin around freely.

I'm only assuming here that the drastic increase in temperature caused the metal in the threads to contract or something and the ball was no longer nice and tight. I ended up managing to get another FULL TURN out of the knob. It turned from being straight lined up but very loose to another 180* so it was upside down. At that point, it had tightend up pretty well but obviously wasn't right being upside down. I began to wonder if I had gotten a bum unit or something but then decided to just keep cranking down on it after recalling that some people have actually had to use a strap wrench to remove their stock shift knobs. If they were that tight on there, I figured I could just muscle this thing on that tight and hope for the best.

So after some he-man kung fu grip action on the shifter, I got it literally as tight as I could and what do you know...

Out of curiosity, I grabbed a laser level/stud finder and pointed it down across the center of the knob in neutral and the laser crossed the 3/4 gear markings and lined up perfectly with the stitching on the front and back of the shift boot. :bounce2:

My impressions are great! I think it feels quite a bit better than stock no matter if it's gripped from above or from the side... although the metal part below the ball is a tad hot. It's not nearly as hot as I thought it would get though. The knob itself was mildly warm but the feel of the shifter is excellent no matter how it's grabbed. I've already had a coworker at the office that I guess saw it in the parking lot comment on it saying he digs it and compliments the retro look inside and out.

So that's that. Thumbs up from me. Just be aware no matter what shift knob you're putting on that the metal may contract a bit if it gets hot.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I got the Black cue ball from Steeda took me about a week to get use to it. I really like it now compared to the stock. And yea you really got turn it as tight as you can.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Excellent post and pictures! I just installed the exact same Steeda knob on my '12 and love it also. Have the same issue with it not being tight enough though - and in my case I don't think there is anyway I could get another full turn out of it, prob would end up halfway around like you stated?

My workaround is going to be some (non-permanent) Loc-Tite this weekend - I know they always did make two different compunds in different colors. I thought that maybe it would secure the knob. I have tried using the lower extension thing as a jamb-nut but just cannot get any kind of grip on it to snug it tight enough up under the knob. I will advise...

Like you I have several folks already comment on how good the knob looks and they also state the whole "retro" thing also!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do like the look of the knob. I don't think the heat caused the metal to contract because that is contrary to physics. But glad you were able to get it lined up.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Storm, I would suggest maybe either a strap wrench to crank it down tighter or maybe try to find some thin washers to drop down onto the shifter shaft before screwing the metal collar down. that may work. Try to find the thinnest washers you can that will both fit around the shaft and that the collar will slip over so that it's not sitting on top of the washers with them exposed between the bottom of the collar and the top of the shift boot. ..if that makes any sense... the washers should be inside the collar.

I honestly think that just muscling down the knob tighter with a strap wrench would be the best answer though.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the look of the knob. I don't think the heat caused the metal to contract because that is contrary to physics. But glad you were able to get it lined up.:bigthumbsup
hmm... now that I think about it yeah my brain has that backwards :embarrassed

Wonder what caused the change then? Because it was REALLY tight when I initially put it on.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
looks nice :bigthumbsup

G

·
0 Posts
I installed mine in about 70 degree weather and it has been 100+ the past few days and I haven't had an issue with the knob loosening. I just gave it the "swedish strength" treatment and it's been perfect since.

·
Registered
115 Posts
maybe just driving it to work and shifting loosened it a bit?

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I installed my Grabber Pony knob, I wore a rubber glove on my hand doing the wrenching. It allowed a MUCH better grip than with anything else and could really muscle it up tight. Have not had any trouble with it moving.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
this thread inspired me to order a white Steeda knob just now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.