Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down my choice of springs to the stedda sport and ultralites. They both lower the car 1" in the front a 1.25" in the back. I know the ultralites will give a smoother ride but at what cost to handling compaired to the sports? Im gonna get Tokico HD non adjustable shocks/struts with either springs. an dim using the car as a daily drive.

Im want a smooth ride but i know lowering the car will make it harsher then stock so im ok with that. Which springs do you think I should go for?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
grab the steeda sport springs :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Call Steeda and ask them which springs best suit the shocks you have (springs and shocks must be matched as a system to work correctly). If you don’t have the shocks yet call Steeda and get your springs and shocks as a set/system from them based o their recommendations. If they can’t tell you what shocks were designed which of their springs go shop somewhere else like H&R Spring, Griggs, etc.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Ultralights will provide a much smoother ride. I run them on my car. They are made by Vogtland.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they only make one set of non adjustable shock/struts so im assuming they work with both there spring sets. I think tokico makes there shocks/struts.

Call Steeda and ask them which springs best suit the shocks you have (springs and shocks must be matched as a system to work correctly). If you don’t have the shocks yet call Steeda and get your springs and shocks as a set/system from them based o their recommendations. If they can’t tell you what shocks were designed which of their springs go shop somewhere else like H&R Spring, Griggs, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i assumed that, but if i get way more performance out od the sports with a little more stiffness then it might be worth going for them.

Ultralights will provide a much smoother ride. I run them on my car. They are made by Vogtland.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
yeah i assumed that, but if i get way more performance out od the sports with a little more stiffness then it might be worth going for them.
You're not going to get 'way' more performance out of any lowering spring.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
they only make one set of non adjustable shock/struts so im assuming they work with both there spring sets.

That’s odd. That makes me assume that they don’t offer a very good product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its steeda, they make a good product :) they just dont make adjustable shocks/struts cause they have a partnership with Tokico so they recomend there D-specs for there competition springs and just give tokico some spec changes to make non adjustable sets for there springs.

I dont think i need adjustables cause i wont be going to a track.

That’s odd. That makes me assume that they don’t offer a very good product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know, i meant compaired to the ultralites, if you would feel the difference in performance or if you wouldnt notice a difference between the two.

obviosly you will feel the difference with either set compaired to stock.

You're not going to get 'way' more performance out of any lowering spring.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
i know, i meant compaired to the ultralites, if you would feel the difference in performance or if you wouldnt notice a difference between the two.

obviosly you will feel the difference with either set compaired to stock.
I could definitely tell a difference with the Ultralights.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You will notice a difference with the sports for sure! You would swear you installed a
Complete system. Ride is only slightly more firm. I have never experienced the ultralites so I can't compare but I don't think you will be disapointed with either. I can tell you this... You must replace the upper strut mounts, they are a 1 time use part. I recomend a set of Ford SVT mounts.(aprox $70.00). You will need an alignment for the TOE setting. With a 1 inch drop your camber and caster will still be within spec.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
its steeda, they make a good product :)
What makes you think that? Their pretty web site? Big catalog? Long standing name? Other people like them? All bad reasons to assume they are “good”. I also find it odd that you say they make a good product ad in the next sentence you talk about who makes their shocks for them.

they just dont make adjustable shocks/struts
I never said that adjustable shocks are desired. Especially D-specs (over priced gimmick). I said they eed to offer shocks to MATCH their springs and one shock spec will not be suited to two different spring rates.

cause they have a partnership with Tokico
This is what I was refering too above.

so they recomend there D-specs for there competition springs
D-specs, shmee specs:shigrin

and just give tokico some spec changes to make non adjustable sets for there springs.
Sure, they have Tokico build their shocks to their specs. But I was just on their site and as far as I can tell they only have one shock package (Pro Action) available aside from the D-specs (yuck), Coil overs which are obviously not to be matched up with one of the spring options, QA1's which sound like a "D-spec" to me (yuck again) and the FRPP shocks that are valved to work with the FRPP springs.

So they only have one shock spec that is non adjustable for two totaly different spring packages. Either they work great with one of the two sets and crap for the other or they don't wok too well for both sets of springs.

I dont think i need adjustables cause i wont be going to a track.
You got that right. Not that Steeda offers a adjustable shock anyway. The D-specs and QA-1's are "adjustable" but its a useless adjustment. Every time you adjust them you will gain an advantage in a situation and make them worse in another. Its impossible to correctly set a adjustable shock up correctly uless the compression and rebound are two different adjustments.

Check out the stuff from H&R spring if you are getting springs ad shocks or get the FRPP ones that are a matched set.:bigthumbsup You will be much happier.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I went with the Sport springs and they are MUCH more stiff but the trade off is worth it for the improvement in handling. If you drive the car hard youll want the sport springs, if you cruise mostly than the Ultra-lites will be your best bet.

I would swap your shock/struts at the same time as they work together as a system, if you keep your stock socks they will most likely blow with in 10 - 20k miles. Althought a matched set like is optimal as Sqidd has suggested, i am happy with the D-Specs and the adjustability gimmic is great when you need to loosen things up for city driving but want to make things firm for track events.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.