Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
02 Vortech Roush stage II
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Mustang Roush stage II with a TR-3650 transmisson and I just ordered a wonderfully rated Steeda Tri-ax shifter to replace the stock truck shifter that the cars come with. I need to know, do I have to buy a new gasket to put on the base? Or can I just grab some silicone gasket maker at Autozone? Please let me know asap.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You'll be happy. My MGW made a bunch of noise until I put one of CobraBob's gaskets on it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I bought a gasket from CobraBob as well. It helped me realize the loud whirring noise was not coming from my shifter... :rollgrin: Gear whine FTW!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm glad to know I got a gasket now! Also, what are the chances that I will have to replace the bushing that caps into the gear selector?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Just pull the one off of your stocker and snap it on the Steeda. No big deal, too easy. Never seen one have to be replaced.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok great because I didn't want to have to order yet another part. The delivery date is this coming Monday so I'll do the install and let you guys know what I think. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
I think everyone that's contributed to this thread either has a Tri-Ax currently, or has had one in the past. It beats the **** outta the stock shifter. I had a stock style shift knob on mine, and then replaced it with a B&M ball style that's a little heftier. Believe it or not, it made a difference, too. Maybe a little more leverage to pop it into gear.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Yep, swapping from the tiny aluminum Bullitt knob to the cue ball made a good difference in the feel of mine as well. Good call Rabbit!!

Plus, my hand doesn't freeze to it when cold, and get 3rd degree burns in the summer anymore....:rollgrin:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Currently have one now.... question about swapping the knob though...I was look on AM's customer pictures and it looks like the aftermarket knobs don't screw down far enough to cover the entire steel handle. Like the shifter boot comes up to a point and then there's a little bit of handle showing and then the new aftermarket knob...do they all do that? Which one do you guys have on there now?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
My Hurst cue ball screws down far enough. At first, there was a gap, because the boot had that "muscle memory", and remembered where the factory knob came down to, but after a while it loosened up and covers the entire thing.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I Luv my Tri-Ax!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I loved my Tri-Ax as well.............. Until I bought my MGW, and then I realize I only liked my Tri-Ax.........:rollgrin:

But some people feel exactly the opposite and prefer the Tri-Ax over the MGW. I think you can't go wrong with either one, and suggest those 2 over all others.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
I'm not gonna tear out a perfectly good Tri-Ax to try the MGW, so I'll have to take your word for it. If I ever experience a catastrophic shift lever failure, I'll get a MGW.

My shift knob is made by B&M, and it came with a small chrome spacer, so you don't see the shift lever between the boot and the knob. Only that little spacer... for whoever it was that asked about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.