Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips for me before I start installing my Short Throw Shifter? I kinda wanna do this job on my own with minimal help from my grandpa. So does anyone have any useful tips from experience because Steeda and American Muscle's direction on how to install it are scaring the crap out of me. They make it seem really really hard or at least to me it does.

ANY help or tips is appreciated!:hihi:

·
Registered
50 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues, it looks like good instructions. Just be careful when removing the black clip that is on the bottom of the shifter. Other then that, it's really straight forward.

One suggestion, depending on your mileage, change your trans fluid. Drain it from the bottom, and fill it while you have the shifter out. Two birds one stone kinda thing.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips Frenchy!:bigthumbsup And yea Ill probably change my trans fluid too.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
DON't use RTV to mate the shifter to the tranny also if you don't modify the shift handle bolts there's gonna be gear whine noise coming up through the shifter,have Cobra Bob mail you his gasket set, it's a silicone design for the bolts and shifter base!:bigthumbsup

Products

·
Registered
446 Posts
use the RTV just make sure you dont over apply! worthless to spend money on something you dont need... now while you have it off yes change you fluid use GM or PEnzoil synchromesh!!! you will be glad you did

when i installed my tri ax it took me about 2 hrs to complete it all... and my MGW took half the time bc i already knew whats goign on...

its simple just make sure you dont break the black cap on the bottom and also make sure you follow directions!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Worthless? WHAT? Have you used them? For the cost of a tube of RTV your gonna get a Kit that eliminates all gear whine coming up through the shifter. And 2 hours to install a Tri-Ax? haha! I simply offered the Thread starter a solution to his problem, take the advice or not, but when it whines like a MOFO he's gonna say "I should have listened to that guy!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I ordered my short throw shifter about a week ago I ordered the handle and the shifter-gasket with it already. So I got that.

I want to know on one of the steps it says tighten the jam nut against the shift tower or something

A) what is the jam nut?

B) What is the shifter tower?

Sorry Im really really bad with these kinds of things.....:so

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.