Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread I asked for help on installing the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter but I finally gave up and had a shop do it. Well they did not do it quite right (the rubber boot had to be siliconed in to seal it) and now there is a bad Vibration above 80mph. I am seriously thinking about paying another 250$ to have it removed. Steeda has been very helpful but they don't have a solution. The vibration is low frequency and goes woo-woo-woo at 80mph with a 2Hz frequency(sorry for the lame sound description but that is what it sounds like-I am a audio engineer by the way, and I know that woo-woo is not a normal technical term!). Below 80 it goes away. The shop marked the drive shaft and assured me , by their marks, that it went back in the same way.

The car does shift much, much better now but I can't live with the vibration/noise. Does anyone have any suggestions? Hate to waste money taking it back out again.

Thanks Everyone!

MSB Mustang

G

·
I got to be honest, no additional heat, noise, vibration, "woo-woo-woo" is worth any thousandths of a second shift gain IMO.

I can slam the stock one with mad speed, no problemo. Especially now that I have this;

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still vibrating at 80mph

Solved the rubber problem by reinstalling it myself. It does fit perfectly. The shop I took it to was not competent! Isn't there an old saying about "If you want something done right...do it yourself". Problem now is they when they put the driveshaft back in they mounted the center bracket crooked! I got that straightened out but the 80mph vibration is still there!!:confused: I went to another shop that was recommended by a buddy who races porches and they sent the driveshaft out to be checked for balance? The balancing shop however has never seen a new mustang shaft and the rear plate has a different mounting pattern than anything they have seen before! They are having a new plate machined tonight so they can balance it tomorrow or Thurs!!! Have to find a ride home tonight!

I really should have not mucked with a brand new car. The shifting really was not that bad.

msbmustang

·
Registered
829 Posts
msbmustang said:
Solved the rubber problem by reinstalling it myself. It does fit perfectly. The shop I took it to was not competent! Isn't there an old saying about "If you want something done right...do it yourself". Problem now is they when they put the driveshaft back in they mounted the center bracket crooked! I got that straightened out but the 80mph vibration is still there!!:confused: I went to another shop that was recommended by a buddy who races porches and they sent the driveshaft out to be checked for balance? The balancing shop however has never seen a new mustang shaft and the rear plate has a different mounting pattern than anything they have seen before! They are having a new plate machined tonight so they can balance it tomorrow or Thurs!!! Have to find a ride home tonight!

I really should have not mucked with a brand new car. The shifting really was not that bad.

msbmustang
I have seen even the slightest bend/dent in a D.S. cause substantial vibration. One thing that I would do right off is run it in gear on a lift (leave someone in the drivers seat) and try to duplicate the harmonic. Look at it underneath while running it, feel things and hunt for the vibration. Be careful not to do something stupid like exploading a tire, getting caught in the spinning assemblies etc. I feel I am the only one in my shop that I would trust to do it! so be careful. I would mark and index the drive shaft around too.

I plan to get that shifter so I hope you end up "happy as hell" with it in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the thread hi-jack :)

R3dF1r3 said:
I got to be honest, no additional heat, noise, vibration, "woo-woo-woo" is worth any thousandths of a second shift gain IMO.

I can slam the stock one with mad speed, no problemo. Especially now that I have this;
R3dF1r3, I had to join just to ask how U made this work? I recently found this site, and have been reading up whenever time allows, but I need to do this also.
Is there now a specific Hurst or B&M handle for the 05' thread pitch? Please guide a bro in the right direction...thanks :)

Mike-

G

·
05PONY said:
Sorry for the thread hi-jack :)

R3dF1r3, I had to join just to ask how U made this work? I recently found this site, and have been reading up whenever time allows, but I need to do this also.
Is there now a specific Hurst or B&M handle for the 05' thread pitch? Please guide a bro in the right direction...thanks :)

Mike-
Sent ya a PM, welcome aboard...

:tongue

·
Registered
829 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
Sent ya a PM, welcome aboard...

:tongue
Ah come on! share the love. Let me know too....

G

·
No problem, this forum is all about the info...

Get the B&M chromy kit (HURST also if you like, note; for HURST get the smaller threaded unit). You will not need the bushing kit, it (they)threads right into the 05 pony manual unit.
Take the kits "lock" nut and go to Home Depot and match it. It takes 2 of these guys to stop the Tom Foolery.
Unscrew the knob ccw (hot day works best) and ensure you don't twist up the leather. It is joined to ball knob by a lip which allows boot to spin within.
Unsnap boot from center console with force in upwards direction, start with corners, easier. Then you can take the boot off the knob lip.

At home base, use you stock knob to size the large flat washer you will need to keep boot "up" to simulate lip.
1/4" hole I recall. I found one EXACTLY the size of the knob lip both inside hole and external diameter.

Now then, step 1, put on both nuts, put lower one all way down, out of way temporarily.
step 2, thread your shifter down to where you want it, I prefer the "cocked" look for natural wrist alignment. Fit check to "snug" shifter to top nut.
step3, once you find your spot, lower the snug upper nut 1/4 turn to compensate for additional washer/ leather.
step 4, cinch lower nut up to top nut, I only did it by hand no tools, it all locks on itself.
step 5, (shifter knob off) put the flat washer on top of the 2 set locked nuts.
step 6, put boot on top of washer and get it to "seat" in leather "lip" it made in stock shifter.
step 7, screw down shifter and keep boot squared to center console during this step.
step 8, snap boot back into console.
step 9, after shifter has seated, give it that final 1/4 turn crank to seat the whole assy on LOCKDOWN. Note, during mockup, you should set it all up to 1/4 turn out in front of desired final postion. :winks
step 10, start Mustang GT up and rip thru gears and feel the Pony become one with the right hand, watch the faster shifts being manhandled into chirping wheel spins and leaving the competition in the rear view mirror as they languish with those "Euro ***** ball shifters".

Ok maybe that last step went to far but, you get the idea.

:tongue :happyhapp :naughty :rollgrin: :eyepoppin :laughlitt :kooky: :dunce:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gig4Fun said:
I have seen even the slightest bend/dent in a D.S. cause substantial vibration. One thing that I would do right off is run it in gear on a lift (leave someone in the drivers seat) and try to duplicate the harmonic. Look at it underneath while running it, feel things and hunt for the vibration. Be careful not to do something stupid like exploading a tire, getting caught in the spinning assemblies etc. I feel I am the only one in my shop that I would trust to do it! so be careful. I would mark and index the drive shaft around too.

I plan to get that shifter so I hope you end up "happy as hell" with it in the end.
Well many weeks and $ later it is much better but still there. Had the driveshaft balanced and that made a big difference in many differents areas! However the vibration is still there but about 10dB less and it starts at about 81mph instead of 77 now. I heard that there was a problem with the transmission brace in some of the 05's but I have been unable to get any more information on this. We are going to replace the rear damping disk on the shifter next to see if that helps. Since the front bearing is very stiff (hard Plastic material-Delren?) the rear one should be able to be much softer. We will be doing that mod later next week. The shifter is great though!

How are you enjoying your 05 GT?

Best Regards,

MSB Mustang

1 - 10 of 10 Posts