Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking for a short throw shifter and im torn between the steeda and the mgw. im not getting a pro 5.0 after finding that their product was discontinued from american muscle and finding no pro 5.0 website on the internet. i am not impressed at all dispite the reviews. so back to my question. i like the "offset preload" coil springs that help find 3rd and the adjustable positive stops to prevent transmission damage from the tri-ax but ive read reviews on the mgw and i havent found a negative one yet. both are $179 so that makes me even more torn between the two. so what do you guys think, Tri-Ax or MGW?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Actually I had a pro 5.0 in my old 92 gt and it was awesome.
But most people are putting the MGW in their 05-09's.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I had a pro 5.0 in my old 92 gt and it was awesome.
But most people are putting the MGW in their 05-09's.
yeah, im just not that impressed with them already. i mean they were discontinued from american muscle and they dont have a website so im wondering if they went out of buisness. how much of an improvement was it over stock?

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
883 Posts
I love my tri-ax...I was torn between the BBk, B&m, Steeda and Hurst...since that's what I get discounts on. but after looking around I chose the Steeda and I love it. Nice and firm puts the shifter in a comfortable position and its quick. After I got done putting it in I kept putting the car in gear cause it wouldn't move but about an in or so..I thought it wasnt in gear. I double checked the stops and everything...it was only until I put it in gear and released the clutch pedal that I knew it was working fine :laugh: and I loved it ever since. My 89' has a hurst I think...its alright but tri-ax is the way to go if you ask me. Except because the MGW has that turnable shifter handle...nice little touch. I might have to hit up Steeda and have them redesign their handle. :kooky:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
it was way faster and shifted nicely. never had a problem with it at all. That wasnt the case when I tried it on my 08. Junk!! needless to say I'm using the stocker again. The pro 5.0 is sittin on the garage floor. but for your year car, I'd recommend it...if you can find one.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I have a Steeda Tri-Ax in my car and I absolutely love it. It's the only shifter I have ever had other than stock though. You will notice a big improvement over stock.
I think the Pro 5.0 shifter is a little smoother, but I like how the Tri-Ax feels like a race car :racer:

(In my mind anyway :D)

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love my tri-ax...I was torn between the BBk, B&m, Steeda and Hurst...since that's what I get discounts on. but after looking around I chose the Steeda and I love it. Nice and firm puts the shifter in a comfortable position and its quick. After I got done putting it in I kept putting the car in gear cause it wouldn't move but about an in or so..I thought it wasnt in gear. I double checked the stops and everything...it was only until I put it in gear and released the clutch pedal that I knew it was working fine :laugh: and I loved it ever since. My 89' has a hurst I think...its alright but tri-ax is the way to go if you ask me. Except because the MGW has that turnable shifter handle...nice little touch. I might have to hit up Steeda and have them redesign their handle. :kooky:
you could always find a way to get the best of both worlds with the tri-ax shifter and mgw handle:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've had the Tri-Ax for 9+ years and never missed a shift, so know which way I'd say to go. :gringreen

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
if its a t5...go with the tri-ax. it eliminates almost all the "sloppy" qualities of the t5...if you have any newer tranny swapped into it, go mgw.

i had an MGW in my 08 gt, 07 gt, and 04 gt. they are awesome. im hooked. adjustable handle, easy to use, and even easier to find gears. and as an added perk, there are dozens of handles to chose from at MGW. it seems they are the shifter of choice among 4.6'ers nowadays.

i had a 91 for a few months about a year ago. i bought it for the car for parts, and got it real cheap. it had a tri-ax, and i loved it. gave a totally different feel from stock. it was running on 4 cylinders, but i enjoyed driving around the shop cuz the shifter. lol

put it this way....with a tri-ax, a stock T5 seems like a nice transmission

·
Registered
13,138 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
For racing Pro 5.0 all the way, for everyday use Tri-Ax. I've had both and currently have the tri ax. Have no complaints with the tri ax, it's more comfortable to drive with on a daily basis where the pro 5.0 I found myself leaning forward to shift sometimes. The hot set up is the pro 5.0 base with a tri ax handle. My Dad has that in his 99 GT and it's awesome.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I ordered the mgw just because Ive never heard any negatives, and the steeda some people like it and others don't.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I had a Steeda Tri-Ax and didn't care for it. The shifts felt very solid but at the expense of giving it a notchy feel. The side-side springs are really tough too.
I traded a guy straight across for a Pro 5.0 and didn't even look back. The Pro 5.0 is a better, more comfy shifter IMO. Soon I'm going to get the Steeda handle for it and call it a day. :bigthumbsup

But I suggest Pro 5.0.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
823 Posts
The mgw website is not too fancy either, just plain the like pro 5.0 I got mine from stangmods.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Not everyone has a HUGE company that mass produces stuff. Hell most items got to start somewhere from normal guys that have great ideas about great products. I usually prefer dealing with the little guys also one on one. You choice tho and good luck:worship
i actually found that and thought about posting it in my list of reasons why im not going with pro 5.0. i was completely shocked when i saw that. i thought they were a company like upr and that their website would be similar but i guess not. the site makes me think its run out of some guys basement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.