Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you live in areas where there's lots of rain and snow, and perhaps the highways/freeways have deep ridges in the pavement for 'traction,' etc. Here in Las Vegas, I'm not sure why the heck some of the roads are finished like that (maybe they're not REALLY 'finished' yet).

Anyway, I find that the tires on my '05 V6 don't like this at all. I have to fight with the wheel to maintain control. On non-ridged highways everything's cool.... Luckily, I don't often find myself on those cruddy ridged roads. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
151 Posts
This seams to be a bit common with these cars. They do "Track" a bit on rough roads. You may be able to reduce the caster a bit to help with this, but you would have to install plates on the shock towers...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuckles said:
This seams to be a bit common with these cars. They do "Track" a bit on rough roads. You may be able to reduce the caster a bit to help with this, but you would have to install plates on the shock towers...
Thanks Chuckles... :) Glad to hear it's not only my pony...

I appreciate your suggestions, but have no idea what that means or how to accomplish it :laughlitt (I'm a 47-year-old female Public Relations professional from Vegas... Not that others like me wouldn't know, however... :winks )

I'll just keep avoiding the cruddy portions of the highway locally and hope that when I take my first run up I-15 to California, the DOT will have completed that bad stretch through Barstow!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about! When I go over draw bridges they have the groves that like to throw the car all over the place. But I remember reading the description for the Steeda bump steer kit and I "think" that may help resolve that but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't think I've driven a car that didn't do that. It's the nature of the beast, I think. If you're looking for an interesting time, go over those on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Crazy001 said:
I don't think I've driven a car that didn't do that. It's the nature of the beast, I think. If you're looking for an interesting time, go over those on a motorcycle!
Oh, Yeah!! Try the bridge in Astoria, WA in the rain, 300ft in the air, on knobby tires!!!!!! It's a real butt clincher!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, in a weird way you guys are making me feel MUCH better! As long as I don't lose control and crack up my pony. It especially bites that these ridges or whatever are all on highways here - 65+ mph speed zones. Nothin' like living even more dangerously - other, insane drivers all around us aren't bad enough! Hee hee hee...

I never had the problem with my last car ('99 Toyota Solara)... I'll just make sure I keep a firm grip on the wheel while on the freeway and be thankful that not ALL of the them have the same 'ca-ca' grading. :tongue

·
Registered
622 Posts
05PONYCAR said:
It especially bites that these ridges or whatever are all on highways here - 65+ mph speed zones.
are the ridges intentional? In my area the asphalt gets compressed and worn down where all the cars drive leaving two shallow trenches going the length of every lane. Loads of fun in the rain as the stock tires hydroplane like crazy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just a guess, but I kinda think it has more to do with 'pitch' of tread blocks and how soft the compound is in the tire itself. Put T/A radials on the wifes minivan and hardly notice it- have some finer treaded goodyears on my 65 and stretch that used to make the van wander on original tires really makes it feel loose. think if the pitch of the tread is close to the pitch of the grooves or a multiple, it gets bad. T/A radials on a grated bridge near here feels loose as heck too. Pitch on tire treads vary if you look closely- prevents harmonic noise...but as the pitch matches then doesnt, and tires are out of synch it can kinda 'gear' to the tread for a sec, then ride up...thats my guess anyway. dont think they could prevent it unless grooves were wavy at a pitch near the width of the groove, so no lines to catch treads.

never thought about how weird that must feel on a bike- especially on big knobby treads!

·
Registered
154 Posts
05 ponycar we live in Vegas also and I notice the 15 from the bowl to flamingo is a grooved one. I have a GT and its the same way but your not going to lose control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts