Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1968 mustang with a 302. I am not too sure what kind of steering I have(manual or power). Please see the pictures attached of my steering components.

My car turns left very easy. But when I turn right it takes a lot of force. I can drive around and turn right, but its pretty hard and not easy like it turning left.

Anyone might know what might be causing the steering to be hard only turning right and not left?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Your pictures clearly show a power steering pump. I would expect its a problem with the power steering valve hardware.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Can't actually see the steering box but as stated, there could be an issue with the steering pump in the picture.
Suggest that you drain the fluid and pull it apart, clean and put back together.
Could be a blockage in the pipes.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you don't even know if you have power steering, then I assume you are not very mechanical and know little about working on cars. That's OK as long as you let us know. I think you posted this a few weeks ago, because it sounds almost the same except it had no photos.

The photos show you have the old style Ford power steering setup. What you showed is the belt driven pump and the 2 hose/lines that go down underneath. They go into a valve that directs pressurized fluid based on which way you turn the wheel. This goes to a hydraulic ram that actually turns the linkage that turns the tires.

It seems your valve is not working properly. It acts like a room with 2 light switches that control one bulb. Left is working while right is not. It needs to be looked at and maybe taken apart and repaired.

I do not think you are able to do this. And most new shops can't either. You need to find someone who can. Try to contact or join a local Mustang club for help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well said, Driveway. And another source of info is the Geezer bench at any car show. If you see Falcons, Fairlanes, or Comets; they are also good sources for info on chassis repairs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback. And I would really like to tackle this myself. I am mechanically inclined. I do all my vehicle repairs myself. I just have never had to do any steering component fixes before. Could it possibly be a bad pump or a bad valve?

The pump looks very easy to change. Is a new valve easy to replace?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Turn your steering full right, and look under the frame behind the tire. See that aluminum cap on the end of the steering centerlink/power valve (it's held on by two screws)? With the engine off, remove the cap and you'll see an adjusting nut holding a centering spring. According to Autobooks Mustang V8 workshop manual, you should "tighten nut snug, then loosen not more than 1/4 turn". According to the text, you should be careful to not overtighten, as you could snap the stop pin.
This procedure should center the valve and equalize the pressure to both sides; thereby fixing your "easy left/hard right" steering.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Start with the pump. Fluid? Get someone to help that can turn the wheel a little to the right and left as you watch the hoses behind the pump. Carefully hold the pressure hose and see if you can feel the fluid pressure.

The bottom items are harder and more dangerous. There are two hoses that go from the valve to the ram. Each one acts opposite to the other and reverse rolls between turning left and right. You need to see if the fluid is going to the ram in both modes. It would be very hard to watch the hoses. And if you loosen one end of the hoses to create a pressure leak that can be dangerous and messy.

You could take the ram off, drain it, and see if it travels the full length.

This is one area that just takes some thinking it thru, dealing with messes, and not fun. Jack stands, gloves, eye protection, and help are a must on this one.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts