Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week, after getting my new mustang (01' gt, 34k mi.) i noticed that when i was turning, there was a noise, almost a squealing from underneath the steering column, above the front driver side wheel. didnt really notice it that much, but since then has gotten worse. whenever i am turning (especially when turning from a complete stop) it is making a noise, almost like a belt needs lube, or sometimes its almost like a scraping noise. only on the one side of the car tho. sometimes when going over a bump in the road, or a speedbump, the sound is audible.

first thought was that it might be the power steering, but there is definitely a good amount of fluid in there. its low, could use more, but plenty in there. thought it could be the pump as well, but it doesnt sound like that kind of problem.

any idea what this might be? i am going to take it in to get it checked out soon, but wanted to get an idea of what i was looking at before i got word from a mechanic. any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've got the same problem. It just doesn't really bother me.
If I find out what exactly causes the squealing, i'll let you know - depends on how much longer it does not bother me.:eyepoppin

I've heared that there were a couple o folks spraying the s*** out of the rubber parts in the suspension. They did that with some kind of a rubber conditioner. Anything else (for instance WD-40) will kill rubber bushigs and is therefore very dangerous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i listened to it a bit more today, and it definitely sounds like a 'whining' sound. like a belt needs lube. however, mine DOES bother me, and it sounds awful, so i dont want to do any damage if its gets to that point. let me know if you do anything.

·
Registered
701 Posts
rudemood12 said:
i listened to it a bit more today, and it definitely sounds like a 'whining' sound. like a belt needs lube. however, mine DOES bother me, and it sounds awful, so i dont want to do any damage if its gets to that point. let me know if you do anything.
Rudemood12

I don't think that I am going to do anything in the future.
But see this post. It pretty much tells you what it could be and how it could be fixed:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48998

Cheers!

G

·
Hey, I just a bought a 2002 GT a couple weeks ago and just start hearing a noise 2 or 3 days ago. When I turn from hard right to hard left I hear 4 clicks or grinding noises in the process. Doesn't sound like a belt to me, but I am definetly concerned and would like to know what it is before I go to a garage. Another noise I hear sounds like it's coming from under the passenger's feet. Sounds like a consistent knock and annoys the #%$ outa me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lance

·
Registered
701 Posts
Lance_Marshall said:
Hey, I just a bought a 2002 GT a couple weeks ago and just start hearing a noise 2 or 3 days ago. When I turn from hard right to hard left I hear 4 clicks or grinding noises in the process. Doesn't sound like a belt to me, but I am definetly concerned and would like to know what it is before I go to a garage. Another noise I hear sounds like it's coming from under the passenger's feet. Sounds like a consistent knock and annoys the #%$ outa me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lance
Sorry Lance, this does not sound familiar to me; could be quite a couple of things:
- Lose bolts in steering / suspension
- Worn steering rack
- Bad tie rod, etc.

ANYBODY ELSE?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an '04 and the same 'whining' when I turn left or right at slow speeds, like turning into a parking space. This summer, the power steering pump was replaced under warranty, but the sound is still there.

It's so bad that it turns heads while pulling into a parking lot. I'd hope that its nothing serious, like the power steering failing, but the sound is VERY annoying as well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could be a Tie Rod end out of Lubrication. Get a Grease Gun with a Needle Fitting and pump that sucker (the boot) full of grease. I had a similar problem and it solved it. A "Clicking" sound could be the Power Steering Tube Brackets that need to be replaced. There was a TSB on it. It's about 100 dollars to fix that. :wavey

·
Registered
175 Posts
I recently had similar issues with my 96gt. Inner tie rods were shot and made many different noises. Also, all my whining noises were cured by replacing the belt tensioner and one idler pulley ...quiet as a mouse now. Look into the inner tie rods for the clunk and turning the wheel noises. That's not a part you want to break while driving...and apparently all ford inners usually go bad every 55k miles(exept the beefed up cobra inners).

Post what you find out-

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you hear a whine when you turn, you have air in your power stearing system. Try turning your wheels back and forth from a stand still a few times, then look in the power stearing reservoir and if you see foam or bubbles, you have an air leak in the line. The return line from the master cylinder to the pump is $25 at your local parts store, but the feed line is a Ford only part, and may be a bit more. If you changed the pump and it still whines, then it is probably a line issue. Check to to see if you have the foam or bubbles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.