Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is normal behavior for my 2006 Mustang GT but it seems that my steering wheel pulls every which way when driving on roads that are uneven or slight bumps. I especially have to hold the steering wheel tight a lot when I am coming to a stop like a traffic light. I test drove a 2012 V6 and it handled much smoother. On mine I can really feel the wheel wanting to turn hard for all the imperfections of the road. Do I need new shocks or something else with the suspension?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
This section is for the SN95 cars, MY's '96 to '04 with the 4.6 engines.

But... my car does the same thing. It's worse with some tires, but it's better with aftermarket LCA's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wider your front tires are the more you will feel it. Some roads drive me nuts. Im running 245/40-18s and they are great on good even roads but suck bad on uneven stuff.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the same problem a while back, especially with the stop light problem you mentioned. I got a new set of tires and rode down the same streets with no problem after that. How old are your tires? If they're worn down, maybe think about changing them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a 4-5 mile section of our local interstate that is grooved where the tires hit the road and it pulls my car left and right like a drunk teen on prom night. Its especially bad if my tire pressure is low but when I put my winter skinnies on, it all but went away so width definitely has something to do with it. ...That and the play in my steering system makes for an interesting drive home from work at midnight when its raining. Its like water-skiing with 4000lb skis and greased up handle. Scary.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The problem is called tramlining and mine was so bad that i worried about bumping the car beside me when coming to a stop at traffic lites . I had stock 8" gt wheels with Falken 245/45 tires . Switched to 9" 03 cobra's on all 4 corners with 275/40 Nitto nt555's and 25mm rear spacers and problem is gone . No more white knuckle stops . The car is sitting on stock suspension but i have all the parts except lower control arms sitting in my garage to lower it 1.6" .

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts