Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a squeak in your steering? It sounds like a whimper dog when you turn the wheel side to side.
I only notice it at slower speeds, probably due to engine drowning it out at higher speeds.
I know it is colder lately, but even on a 50 degree day, with the car already running for a few hours.
I have an 1997 F150 and that always sqeaks when I turn. It could be Warm or Cold weather and it is LOUD. You can hear it a block a way when I turn the corner. I assume it is a bushing of some sort. I asked the oil change guys if there was anything they could lube to eliminate it with no luck.
My question is, that I have 2 Fords and both have a squeak. Is this a common problem????
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
dude, first it has nothing to do with cold weather, I had this problem since the first day I got my stang, yes it only squeeks when you turn in low speeds, very true, but mine did that only when I turn to the left not right, weird, but good news, after about 5 months of owning it, the squeel is completely gone, weird but good weird. so I guess it's common on some mustangs, no big deal to me, unless your squeeking i loud. drive safely

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine started squeaking, albeit not as loudly as yours, after about 5,000 miles. It would do it after the car was warmed up (plus I live in Vegas, so it definitely wasn't due to cold weather). I'd notice it when pulling into the garage and there was a very slight feeling of friction in the steering wheel as well.

Went to the dealer this past Monday for an oil change and mentioned it. The guys checked it out / ran a diagnostic on it and changed out a gear in the rack and pinion steering. It's fine now. My service tech said it had something to do with a substandard flow of hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an '06 GT with manual transmission that has 12,500 miles on it I got in March of this year and have started noticing the same thing on mine more recently. Every time I am going slow (10mph or less) and turn like pulling in to a parking spot there is this rrcchh rrcch rrcchh sound that sounds like it is coming from bearings in the wheels or possibly the steering (I know it is not the brakes as I am not pressing them when I first hear the sound as I am turning). Is this what you guys experienced and if so should I take it to my Ford dealership and have them take a look at the rack and pinion gears also, is this something that could become a major mechanical issue later? This should be covered under my warranty. Thanks for any help you can give me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts