Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3.5 MB 37 page PDF file:
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Specs/2005mustang_specs.pdf

Looking at the Steering Specifications in this document (PDF-page 16, doc-page 14) I see the GT is 2.83 turns lock-to-lock, while the V6 is 3.13. Doesn't seem like much of a difference (just under ten percent), but you got to figure if Mr Ford thought it was important enough to make two versions, there's some kind of value in it.

More of the "V6 purchasers are likely to be less sophisticated and demanding, and less likely to benefit from faster steering"? Or is it "V6 has a greater proportion of its weight on the front wheels so needs more mechanical advantage"? Or something completely different?

What are the physical changes necessary to get that 10% faster steering response? Jack up the grill pony and slide a GT under it? Something less complicated and less costly?

Enquiring mind wants to know.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Seems wasteful to have different systems unless, like you said, there's a technical necessity.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Doesn't make any sense to me. The document says that the rack and pinion is identical between the v6 and v8 but the v6 has a smaller turning radius (33.4ft to 36.5ft) and a larger turn ratio on the steering wheel. I would guess that the larger turning radius is because of the steering stops for the 17" wheels on the v8 vs the 16" on the v6 in 2005 but I can't see any reason for any steering column differences between the two. I wonder what newer spec sheets would say for 06-08 mustangs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oh...duh. I thought of the steering stops but didn't make the connection that if there's more room to turn the wheels tighter, there's going to be more movement in the steering wheel too. I'll blame it on being up at 2:00am.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Oh...duh. I thought of the steering stops but didn't make the connection that if there's more room to turn the wheels tighter, there's going to be more movement in the steering wheel too. I'll blame it on being up at 2:00am.
I'll let it slide :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pitman arm

First time posting here but this site has been helpful.
Talking about steering I have this question, I have replaced my Saginaw steering box with the same box. The problem (If it is a problem) with my old box I had 2 turns lock to lock. With this box I have 1 1/2 turns lock to lock. I did replace the pitman arm. Did I not get the correct pitman arm or is it the steering box?
Because I lost 1/2 turn what problems if any will this cause? Can I just leave it as is or should I replace the arm with the correct one??
Any advice will be grateful.
I will take emails [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts