Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this question might show my age but here goes...

I have a base Mustang steering wheel on my vehicle and found some nice Grant steering wheels.
I watch the install video and noticed that it seems not to require a "steering wheel pull" contraption but just a torque wrench.....
Is the new wheel that easy to install..take old one off and put new one on..or is it much more difficult?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They use a hex center on the wheel instead of splined like an older car.

I noticed that but is it as easy to install as it looks?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually have the same question, i was gonna switch out my base steering wheel but im curious, some people say i need to get a new airbag/wheel combo and others say its just a simple switch off. And whats the best leather wheel out there at the moment? Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Simple. Pop the tabs out of the side of the steering wheel,use an 8mm hex head and remove the two bolts,pull off the airbag,unplug everything and use a 24mm socket to remove the old wheel.Oh yeah,disconnect the negative terminal first!Rinse,repeat.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Took me a 1/2 hour to install the Grant wheel. It's as easy as they make it sound. Just really pay attention to the steps to disarm the airbag and power down the system.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a thread on this, just FYI.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What does it mean when it say about the cruise control buttons. I have the complete base steering wheel and I am about to install leather seats and I just want my steering wheel to be leather wrapped to match. Do you have to have the premuim wheel for this?

·
Registered
719 Posts
All your cruise control functions will work just fine between the base and any of the premium steering wheels.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Unfortunately that's not true. If you have a base wheel with no silver trim surround you can't just swap over to the Grant or Premium wheels. You need to get new buttons and the surround.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Unfortunately that's not true. If you have a base wheel with no silver trim surround you can't just swap over to the Grant or Premium wheels. You need to get new buttons and the surround.
Do you know where I can get that? I would be fine with just the premium leather wrapped steering wheel.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I found the thread and I will pm him.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you get a premium wheel with the switches in it, YES, you can use them on a base interior car....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts