Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to refurb my original wheel that going aftermarket if possible. Has anybody had success with this and if so the kit or materials that I would need?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
You use an epoxy to fill in splits, followed up with a special paint to re-coat the wheel. Eastwood has the epoxy, and the paint I'm not sure of. Of course the various paint prep steps are involved.

I'm terrible at paint work, so am having a guy restore a wheel for me very soon. He uses "Awlgrip paint", and its pretty expensive for just one wheel. The cost is going to be in the $200-$250 range. PM me if you want his contact information.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Yadkin. I'll check around for the materials. I found a write up and it's worth a shot compared to the cost of having it restored. Mine needs the pc that goes around the rear of the wheel and could use the vinyl insert in the top. I'll have to see if I can find these somewhere.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Guys, think about this before you dump big bucks into refurbishing your steering wheel. Classic Mustang steering wheels are made with round solid metal stock inside and a molded plastic outer rim. These two materials expand and contract at vastly different rates in the heat and cold, and they eventually lead to the cracking you are seeing. ALL of these old wheels and even the new replacements will do this. When you fill in the cracks with something else, the surrounding plastic will still expand and shrink and cause yet another break. I would be very suspicious of anyone who said they could fix that or stop it from re-occurring. Just sayin'
Best,
Al

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Al do you have a source of "new replacements"? My '64 TBird wheel is in bad shape.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I restored mine 2 years ago, so far its all good, no cracks. I didn't just fill in the cracked spots, I ground a "V" into the cracks just like you do when you weld metal. It gives way more surface area for the epoxy to adhere to, adds alot of strength and as I said, do far its help up.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Icerat, if I could mine a replacement rim blow that cheap for $160 I would. But mine is $597.99. I'm with Phils69. Going to repair it myself and find someone to just to paint it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
There are companies who will restore wheels like that but its pretty pricey compared to a new one for a Mustang at only $160. I see that the repros now come in almost any color for that price.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Phils69 seems to have a steering wheel from a 1969. The steering wheel for my 69 MACH 1 it is $597.99 for a repo rim blow. That's just the wheel not the pad or horn. But if you're talking about the standard steering wheel that's only about $200. But he didn't state which wheel he has.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts