Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people who know more about car stereo’s than me,

Here is what I am trying to do and the way I think I will need to do it.

I want to run my stock head unit and for now run my stock front and rear speakers and add a 10” tube/sub/whatever.

I am thinking that I need to get a hold of 4 high pass crossovers (120hz and up) that I will wire in line before the “shaker 500” amp. Then run the amp outputs to the front speakers , which I think they already go there. Then put the other two high pass crossovers in line between the head unit and the deck speakers. I am under the impression that the deck speakers are run by the head unit and not the “Shaker 500” which they are not powered by. Here are my questions:
· Does anyone know where I can get a crossover(s) that “wire in” on both sides opposed to using RCA jacks? Something passive and inexpensive.
· Am I better off putting the crossovers before the amp so it doesn’t even try to make low hz? Or after for some other reason?
· I plan on pulling a signal for my sub off of a rear speaker wire(s). Am I correct in assuming the crossover should be wired in after I tap the line for the sub?
I plan on running a self powered sub so I am guessing that all I will need to do is wire a 120hz and below crossover right before the sub and tap a rear speaker lie before it’s crossover. Then run 12v from my battery mounted trunk to the sub for power.

Does my plan sound workable? If not can you point me in the right direction?

Are there such things as crossovers that used stripped wire in and out?

Is there wire between the head unit and the “Shaker 500” amp? Or is it in/attached to the head unit?

Is it always best to run a crossover before the amp? Seems to make sense, then the amp wouldn’t be trying to crank out the lows and therefore be cleaner. The amp doesn’t know if the crossover is there does it?

Thanks for your help, I am lost with this stuff,

·
Registered
331 Posts
· Does anyone know where I can get a crossover(s) that “wire in” on both sides opposed to using RCA jacks? Something passive and inexpensive.
yes....try these...you can pick what frequency you want to use. you wire them up on the positive wire of each speaker either behind the radio or at each speaker.. InstallEdge.com

· Am I better off putting the crossovers before the amp so it doesn’t even try to make low hz? Or after for some other reason?
the deck powers the door and rear deck speakers. if you plan on maybe running a 4ch amp then you can use the crossover built into that and disregard using the wired in ones from the link above. im not entirely clear on what you are asking on this question....you want the low frequencies to make it to the amp for the sub.

· I plan on pulling a signal for my sub off of a rear speaker wire(s). Am I correct in assuming the crossover should be wired in after I tap the line for the sub?
yes, you will need to get the signal before the crossover filter that way your low frequencies are not filtered out. you can either tap the rear speakers or go right above the driver side kick panel and tag the shaker sub wires at one of the amps. (id recommend that method, as it ensures you are getting a good bass signal)

I plan on running a self powered sub so I am guessing that all I will need to do is wire a 120hz and below crossover right before the sub and tap a rear speaker lie before it’s crossover. Then run 12v from my battery mounted trunk to the sub for power.
the amplifier that powers the sub will most likely have a crossover built in so no need for a separate one. ideally, you would want to run 80hz and below...but you can also maybe get away with running 100hz. but 80 and below is much better.

Does my plan sound workable? If not can you point me in the right direction?

Are there such things as crossovers that used stripped wire in and out?

Is there wire between the head unit and the “Shaker 500” amp? Or is it in/attached to the head unit?
there is a separate smaller square plug that sends the signal to the shaker amps above the driver side kick panel. it would be easier to tap the speaker leads off the amps instead of trying to tap the low level signal from the deck.

Is it always best to run a crossover before the amp? Seems to make sense, then the amp wouldn’t be trying to crank out the lows and therefore be cleaner. The amp doesn’t know if the crossover is there does it?
if the amp has a crossover built in, there is no need for a separate one. however, if you do not have an amp with a crossover, then yes you will need one before the amp. however, i have yet to see a decent quality amp that does not have a crossover built in. just go with that instead of adding more crossovers here and there.

hopefully that answers your questions! if not, ill watch this thread! ive torn my car apart and completely redone the stereo system so i know the wiring pretty well. i also do this for a living! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.