Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the scoop, I replaced the valve cover gasket on my '87 2.3 last Friday. After getting it all put back together, I checked to make sure all of the hoses, lines, wires, and linkages were hooked up. It looked like all of them were, so I started it up. It ran a little rough, but I didn't think anything of it. As soon as I put it in reverse to back it out of my driveway, it coughed, shuddered, and then died. When I tried to restart it, it acted like it wasn't getting fuel. It cranked over perfectly, but it wouldn't start. I've gone back and re-checked all the hoses, electrical plugs, and lines, and everything I can find was hooked up. How can I check to see if I'm getting fuel? What other possibilities could it be? Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well What I would do is crank the engine over a few tiwes and then pull a spark plug and see if it is wet/smells like fuel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!!!

Thanks you guys!:bigthumbsup
I'm not sure what the MAF consists of, sorry.
Can just removing the intake of the system do any thing with the electrical part of the engine? I know you have to remove two elec. plugs on the throttle body, but I made sure they were connected after reassembly. As far as I can see, I've got everything hooked back up the right way. It ran fine until I replaced the valve cover gasket. I'm at a loss as to what is going on with it. Any more suggestions/ideas would be great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i once ran into this problem with a complete top end rebuild of a 91 probe that i converted to turbo. i THOUGHT i had it all set back right as well, even used factory throttle body to reconnect everything the same, apparently i missed a vacuum line that connected to the EGR valve tho. sooo i would find a diagram for your EGR system as it connects to the Solenoids and your Throttle Body and double check that it is 100% correct. crossing a line is a pretty typical mistake when taking the top end of a motor apart and putting it all back together

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bro, when you put in the new valve cover. Did you unplug the negative battery wire.
This also happened to me. I thought my fuel pump was out and my filter was dirty. A mechanic said that the fuel turns to sludge and he needed to take off the tank injectors lines and clean EVERYTHING. My friend just said to nuplug the wire for like 5 minutes.

I did and when i plugged i bak in IT WORKED. Hasnt done anything like that again. Nor has it ever did anything like that before i had this problem. TRY it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
yeah old fuel will varnish and gum up but i doubt that would be the problem if he ran and drove the car before the head gasket tear down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It wasnt old fuel. I just filled my tank. But i only put in Octane 91. (premium Unleaded). Ive been using it for 10 months. Never had any problems. Ever. the only problems i have was a blown out Fan. SO i N****r rigged some wire for that and a slight leaky Water Pump. And a bad rack and pinion

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that helps me solve the mystery. :bigthumbsup Hopefully, this will take care of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.