Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 40th ann. because it was in my price range and was convertable. Now that I've been driving it, to my suprise, I really like it and want to tweak it for more power. There is one problem though. I bought an additional bumper to bumper 8 year 100k warrenty and it is more important to me than the extra power from tweaks.

Hence, I want to do a few simple mods that will not affect the warrenty. After the holidays I'm going to call the warrenty place because there were additional fees for super/turbo chargers and I want to ask them if the work is done by an approved shop if I can add it under the warrenty (its not through Ford). I also want to do an exhaust mod and anything else that would be simple and possibly approved by the warrenty copany.

I need some expert advise. What should I have done by a shop that will give me the most benifit with the supercharger and does anyone know how these addon warrenties work? i.e. if its typically possible to get after-market stuff approved?

Thanks in advanced for the advise.

ps I need something that doesn't require much tweaking/maintenance as I am new to this and have no time to play for the next 12 months because of school. Oh yeah, this car will be with me for a few years until I can upgrade to a Cobra or better.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
OC Noob said:
I just bought an 04 40th ann. because it was in my price range and was convertable. Now that I've been driving it, to my suprise, I really like it and want to tweak it for more power. There is one problem though. I bought an additional bumper to bumper 8 year 100k warrenty and it is more important to me than the extra power from tweaks.

Hence, I want to do a few simple mods that will not affect the warrenty. After the holidays I'm going to call the warrenty place because there were additional fees for super/turbo chargers and I want to ask them if the work is done by an approved shop if I can add it under the warrenty (its not through Ford). I also want to do an exhaust mod and anything else that would be simple and possibly approved by the warrenty copany.

I need some expert advise. What should I have done by a shop that will give me the most benifit with the supercharger and does anyone know how these addon warrenties work? i.e. if its typically possible to get after-market stuff approved?

Thanks in advanced for the advise.

ps I need something that doesn't require much tweaking/maintenance as I am new to this and have no time to play for the next 12 months because of school. Oh yeah, this car will be with me for a few years until I can upgrade to a Cobra or better.
get a refund on the remainder of your warranty.

The 3.8/9L is the most realiable car ford made with only 5 problems per 100,000 cars. Put the money you were paying into the warranty into the bank, and you'll have plenty to take care of any problems the car may have.

Those "extra" warranty coverages are different from manufacturer warranties, and pretty much anything you do may void it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kscoyote said:
get a refund on the remainder of your warranty.

The 3.8/9L is the most realiable car ford made with only 5 problems per 100,000 cars. Put the money you were paying into the warranty into the bank, and you'll have plenty to take care of any problems the car may have.

Those "extra" warranty coverages are different from manufacturer warranties, and pretty much anything you do may void it.
Thanks for the advise. I'll have to weigh the benifits of the warrenty vs. $910 and the extra power.

I'd probably better play it safe and keep the warrenty until I graduate in a year and a half and then I'll have a lot more time and money to tweak the Mustang... or get a Cobra and tweak it.:kooky:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
OC Noob said:
Thanks for the advise. I'll have to weigh the benifits of the warrenty vs. $910 and the extra power.

I'd probably better play it safe and keep the warrenty until I graduate in a year and a half and then I'll have a lot more time and money to tweak the Mustang... or get a Cobra and tweak it.:kooky:
The only problem I had cost me 236 dollars to fix (window regulator), If I had the warranty, I'd be out the $1000 plus interest, which of course is how the insurance company makes money . ..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kscoyote said:
The only problem I had cost me 236 dollars to fix (window regulator), If I had the warranty, I'd be out the $1000 plus interest, which of course is how the insurance company makes money . ..
lol, cool.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We see a lot of customers with Turbo's, S/C's etc. When warranty work is required, unless they can CLEARLY PROVE that the addition of the aftermarket parts caused the problem, they will be required to cover you under warranty.
Latest example? An Dodge SRT4 with a larger turbo, intercooler, Spec Clutch and much more. We sent him to his local dealership where he bought the car when he had a drivetrain problem. His dealership covered it under warranty. Under the Magnuson Law, it is pretty difficult for them to deny you service although they will try.

Ron

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
ro51468 said:
We see a lot of customers with Turbo's, S/C's etc. When warranty work is required, unless they can CLEARLY PROVE that the addition of the aftermarket parts caused the problem, they will be required to cover you under warranty.
Latest example? An Dodge SRT4 with a larger turbo, intercooler, Spec Clutch and much more. We sent him to his local dealership where he bought the car when he had a drivetrain problem. His dealership covered it under warranty. Under the Magnuson Law, it is pretty difficult for them to deny you service although they will try.

Ron

But that's manufacturers warranty, he's got a private contract, which I don't believe is covered by magnusson-moss ..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I couldn't wait and said forget the warrenty if it voids it.

Inspired by you guys I added the dual exaust and now want to get the after-market computer chip and a turbo or a super charger.

What do you guys think would be best for something that is reliable, doesn't require much mainenance/tweaking. I have to have it installed at a shop because there just isn't any free time to do the stuff myself and i want to kind of set it and forget it for year or so until there is more time to tweak.

What would be the best for power, price and reliability without much maintinance, turbo or supercharger?

Some superchargers I've seen at places linked in the stickies in this forum are running about $3k not installed and thats too much for now. I was hoping to get the turbo or charger and the aftermarket chip for about $2k installed. Wishful thinking or is it possible?

Thanks for all the help. If something does happen with the warrenty I'll bust their balls until they cover the work or tell me to F off... or both. :D

I'm going to start calling shops after the holiday.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
OC Noob said:
So, I couldn't wait and said forget the warrenty if it voids it.

Inspired by you guys I added the dual exaust and now want to get the after-market computer chip and a turbo or a super charger.

What do you guys think would be best for something that is reliable, doesn't require much mainenance/tweaking. I have to have it installed at a shop because there just isn't any free time to do the stuff myself and i want to kind of set it and forget it for year or so until there is more time to tweak.

What would be the best for power, price and reliability without much maintinance, turbo or supercharger?

Some superchargers I've seen at places linked in the stickies in this forum are running about $3k not installed and thats too much for now. I was hoping to get the turbo or charger and the aftermarket chip for about $2k installed. Wishful thinking or is it possible?

Thanks for all the help. If something does happen with the warrenty I'll bust their balls until they cover the work or tell me to F off... or both. :D

I'm going to start calling shops after the holiday.
1) it will void the warranty on the engine, but ATI provides its own warranty

2) SC is less costly and generally more reliable than turbo.

3) if you want under 2K you're going to have to look for a rebuilt modded T-Bird Roots SC. You're generally not going to find a new unit for less than 2800.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woah, I better save some dough then. Thanks for the advise, I didn't think they would be that expensive.

SC it is then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.