Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous threads on this topic before, but haven't really found enough plain and simple answers to my questions. So here goes.

I am brand new to the world of performance cars. Been educating myself a little bit in the past 2 weeks. Just bought a used 2005 Mustang GT (24k miles on it), Auto tranny, 2 days ago. It is completely stock, never been modded (the 1 owner before me must have just driven it on the weekends or something).

Here is what I plan on doing:
-Dropping in a supercharger, specifically the Kenne Bell Stage 1 (and keeping it at 8.5 psi boost until I can strengthen the engine and other components).
-Keeping the rest of the motor/drivetrain/etc. stock until I can slowly start buying forged parts, rebuild transmission to keep my car from dying after 15k miles.
-Eventually upgrade suspension after everything is said and done.

Here are my goals:
-Have a car that is quick enough to put a stock GT500 to shame for a quarter of the price. (GT500 is my dream car, however let's be real, I don't get paid enough to justify throwing down $45k-$50k on one.)
-I plan on using this car as my DD/funmobile until the wheels fall off (hopefully years from now), racing/driving hard occasionally, nothing too crazy. I have no need for a bunch of mods (or a bunch of debt) to get the HP I want; I just want 1 solution (which is why I'm thinking of the KB).

Here are the questions I need answered:

1. Kenne Bell's sales reps told me that the Stage 1 or 2 do not decrease reliability/life of the stock engine as long as I keep it under 10 psi and use their out-of-the-box tune they send with it. Is this really true?

2. Same goes for HP. I understand the engine and other parts have HP limits, but will the Stage 1 KB be okay to use?

3. A list of what would need to be forged/swapped out first to last in order to get up to the 675 HP they advertise.

BONUS: A good place to get my auto tranny rebuilt/strengthened, and any tips.

I know this is a lot of stuff to ask in one thread, but I am desperate to hear some facts/observations from people who actually own this S/C or know about it personally; I can't start saving money to buy something if I can't be sure it isn't going to make my engine explode after 10k miles. So someone, anybody, please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add:

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to look at other supercharger options (I've been hearing good things about the Whipple S/C too) as long as they offer similar specs; good HP at boost within the stock engine's limits, good potential for increase after I get forged parts and such.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
We offer a VARIETY of supercharger packages. We have anything from mild to wild and build S197 cars in our shop all of the time. Feel free to give us a call if you need to bounce some ideas off of us. We would be glad to suggest your best bang for the buck and tell you whats going to last on the stock engine and what you need to worry about. We can be reached at 574.594.9559 if you have any questions and have a LOT of experience going down the same road you are looking to head down (auto w/ supercharger and stock engine).

Thanks,
Chandler
Brenspeed, LLC.
Manager

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I run 5-7psi with my E-Force and now have 19,000 miles with the blower (43,000 total) and have a 100% stock engine and trans. I do not race my car however, she is a 100% street Daily Driver.

As long as you run a good tune with a safe AFR, you'll be fine. Its once you start tweaking it for more power and throwing in too much boost that you run into issues.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
as the resident chassis/suspension guy, I'll mention that extra horsepower is fun, but you won't be spanking any GT500s if you can't get traction!

UPR Products suspension and Sticky Tires take care of that problem. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
True, very true. Suspension and tires are on my laundry list as well. A little further down, but on the list nonetheless. Mainly right now I want the first upgrade to be that KB supercharger or something comparable; I'm not opposed to Brenspeed or going with another brand, the main thing I'm concerned with is what is the highest I can go with the stock motor, and is the KB too much, etc; and what i should go with otherwise. Is it too much for my stock engine? Or can I get away with it until I can later forge my engine internals?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Suspension and tires are on my laundry list as well. A little further down, but on the list nonetheless. Mainly right now I want the first upgrade to be that KB supercharger or something comparable
I'd rethink that if I was you. As Sharad noted, you won't be going anywhere fast with just a supercharger and no suspension mods or sticky tires. Might as well skip the supercharger until you get those - it could be dangerous :bigthumbsup

Case in point: I fooled around this morning (4:30 am) on I-95 south of DC on my way to work this morning and gave it a bit too much gas changing lanes, just spun the tires at 70 mph. It took me all three lanes and a few hairy moments to get it straightened back out...and the roads were dry. Yes, I have big, sticky tires and all necessary suspension mods.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Build up the rest of the car first to handle the extra power.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I'd rethink that if I was you. As Sharad noted, you won't be going anywhere fast with just a supercharger and no suspension mods or sticky tires. Might as well skip the supercharger until you get those - it could be dangerous :bigthumbsup

Case in point: I fooled around this morning (4:30 am) on I-95 south of DC on my way to work this morning and gave it a bit too much gas changing lanes, just spun the tires at 70 mph. It took me all three lanes and a few hairy moments to get it straightened back out...and the roads were dry. Yes, I have big, sticky tires and all necessary suspension mods.
LOL @ hubkap! :laugh: Glad the car's alright dude. Wait, I meant that I'm glad YOU'RE alright. :gringreen

But anyway, yeah, it's a tough call. Boost is magic, for sure! But spinnin' ain't winnin'. The best scenario is to have BOTH. Good power and excellent suspension.

Fwiw reaper, I've seen plenty of S197 daily drivers with 4-500rwhp from blowers on stock motors. I personally like ProChargers, but whatever you do, make sure you have a good safe tune. Brenspeed can certainly help you with that.

In the meantime, I can set you up with some good suspension. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would give Brenspeed a call..They have done all my engine mods for me and couldn't be happier..I still have more to do and will call them when I am ready..They will be able to help you set you up to kill the 500's, and the Vette's lol...They know what they are doing and they are great to deal with..I know, I've been there..

B

·
0 Posts
....the main thing I'm concerned with is what is the highest I can go with the stock motor, and is the KB too much, etc; and what i should go with otherwise. Is it too much for my stock engine? Or can I get away with it until I can later forge my engine internals?
The KB, as you described it, will be fine with your stock engine.

Most will agree that the stock bottom end of the engine will reliably hold between 450-500 rwhp. And about all will agree that the main factor regarding reliability is the quality of the tune.

Do you NEED to upgrade your suspension first? No. I didn't and there are still a number of people with twin screw s/c still driving on their stock 17" pirelli's. However, just keep in mind that there's alot more power there than what your tires are designed to handle...and drive accordingly.

By the way....I agree with considering Brenspeed.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Do you NEED to upgrade your suspension first? No. I didn't and there are still a number of people with twin screw s/c still driving on their stock 17" pirelli's. However, just keep in mind that there's alot more power there than what your tires are designed to handle...and drive accordingly.
That's disturbing just thinking about it! My '06 GT spun the pirellis all the way through first, second, and going into third when it was stock. I can't imagine with a blower!

Good Suspension and Sticky Tires are absolutely necessary, to me. With drag racing, the car that hooks usually wins, even if it has less power.

B

·
0 Posts
That's disturbing just thinking about it! My '06 GT spun the pirellis all the way through first, second, and going into third when it was stock. I can't imagine with a blower!

Good Suspension and Sticky Tires are absolutely necessary, to me. With drag racing, the car that hooks usually wins, even if it has less power.
It's an occupational hazard for me to assign strict definitions to words like "need" and "absolutely necessary".

I'll meet you halfway and say that you "really, really, really should" have better tires and suspension upgrades if you're going to push the car at all.

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW hubkap, I used to drive that stretch on 95 every day (lived in Fredericksburg). Problem was I had to drive north every morning to work, staying about an hour every morning and afternoon in that horrendous traffic. Friggin blew. :kooky:

Anyways, I keep leaning toward the KB S/C first for a few reasons:

-completeness of the kit (if I want more power, just need to buy a smaller pulley when all my upgrades incl. suspension, tires, forged engine, etc. are done)
-I plan on using a very conservative tune and big pulley for now (even though KB says 8 psi is okay, I might try to take it down lower just to be safe)
-a LOT of potential for more power once all my other mods are done (which means less $$$ I have to spend on buying a stronger supercharger in the future)
-overall, as long as I don't put ****** low-octane fuel or rev above 6k, based on what I see so far, I should be okay

Besides, I'm thinking of getting an MMR forged engine anyways, engine reliability is only a temporary concern until I can save the money to buy one. Anyone bought from MMR or have any opinions on them? Or any other opinions on my ideas?

Hell at the very least, I'm willing to experiment a little with the ideas I got and post the results (and see if I'll be eating my words in the end, lol).

·
Registered
559 Posts
OK!!! Here is the real scoop...

I have a 2005 Mustang GT w/automatic and installed a Saleen Supercharger several years ago...

Starting with the basic package 4.0 pulley and upgrading it a few more times, I now run at 530HP at the engine and about 450 RWHP... Brenspeed calls the Saleen Supercharger upgraded package that I have "the Corvette Killer"...

Brenspeed sent my a tune via e-mail which works perfectly...

In addition to a supercharger, you have to add a high performance CAI, a BAP to add fuel. better exhaust headers, Springs, 3.73 gears, LCA or your car will go sideways under power, and HT0 plugs...

I also had to change the belt tensioner to a Thump Racing Belt Temsioner because of belt slip...

You will also have to consider upgrading your braking system with bigger rotors and calipers...

Also keep in mind that the automatic tranny will only support up to 450RWHP, so add about $2,000 for an upgraded tranny and TC...

All in all, my car is not a drag racer but a street performer!!!

If I have to put a $$$ figure on the whole upgrade including suspension, brakes exhaust and motor, I would say $10,000 is not unreasonable price for everything...

A supercharger a great investment if you intend to keep the car, but if you intend on selling it soon and buying a new 2012 with the coyote motor, then save your $$$ and invest it into a new Mustang...

Beating a GT500 may not be in the cards but beating everything else is do-able...

Good Luck, Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sticky tires are great until it rains. Often stickier the tire, worse it is at evacuating water.

Traction is great, until things start to break. You know when the dragstrip is well-prepped, a lot more racers break krap and have to be towed home...lol

Do all the research necessary to plan for a supercharger and then go turbo.....more torque and less belt issues:shigrin

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This is exactly why I'm just going to get a GT500 in a year or so. No point of worrying about not doing something right when you can get a used 07-09 for ~$30k that has everything you need already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See I wish I could get one. Overall the GT500 is my dream car, and plan on buying one a few years from now once the wheels have fallen off of my new Mustang. However, considering that I already have a little bit of debt I'm consolidating, plus a new wife/big wedding celebration to pay for, and potentially a house in the near future, I gotta be a realist. Heh. (That and I essentially bought my current 'Stang a week ago because my 17yr old Buick P.O.S. I got back in high school finally decided to die on me.)

So I gotta work with what I got. Especially considering I was able to find my 2005 GT with 1 previous owner, no mods, no accidents/negative maintenance history, 24k miles, all for only $17k. Even if I pour in $10k in modifications, I will still have a beast of a DD/occasional racing mobile for a little less than the stock GT500.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
See I wish I could get one. Overall the GT500 is my dream car, and plan on buying one a few years from now once the wheels have fallen off of my new Mustang. However, considering that I already have a little bit of debt I'm consolidating, plus a new wife/big wedding celebration to pay for, and potentially a house in the near future, I gotta be a realist. Heh. (That and I essentially bought my current 'Stang a week ago because my 17yr old Buick P.O.S. I got back in high school finally decided to die on me.)

So I gotta work with what I got. Especially considering I was able to find my 2005 GT with 1 previous owner, no mods, no accidents/negative maintenance history, 24k miles, all for only $17k. Even if I pour in $10k in modifications, I will still have a beast of a DD/occasional racing mobile for a little less than the stock GT500.
I hear you. I had an 05 Redfire GT I had to get rid of when I had my first son 4 years ago. Now, 4 years later, a second son, new house and a new family car, I was able to get my current GT. Though, it's not enough. A GT500 is my dream car as well, and I've cleared it with the wife that I'll upgrade in the next 2 years. Can't freaking wait.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts