Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2006 gt and i was wonderin if we come stock with 31 spline or 28 spline? im not very familiar with rear ends and such but i recently bought some 4.10 gears and took my car to the shop when i get a call back saying they cannot put the gears in without breaking my limited slip differential and i was told i had a broke pin or something and he would literally have to take a hammer to it to get the pin out to get to the gears and doing so would break my lsd and that i would need an entire carrier if i want those gears installed. so i am wondering if we have 31 spline or 28 in the 2006 so i can buy the right lsd. also is there any recommendations for a good limited slip? thanks in advance!

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
ok i have a 2006 gt and i was wonderin if we come stock with 31 spline or 28 spline? im not very familiar with rear ends and such but i recently bought some 4.10 gears and took my car to the shop when i get a call back saying they cannot put the gears in without breaking my limited slip differential and i was told i had a broke pin or something and he would literally have to take a hammer to it to get the pin out to get to the gears and doing so would break my lsd and that i would need an entire carrier if i want those gears installed. so i am wondering if we have 31 spline or 28 in the 2006 so i can buy the right lsd. also is there any recommendations for a good limited slip? thanks in advance!
31 spline

The diff you want depends on what you want to do with it. I have a Torsen which is more of a roadrace diff but that is how I drive the car. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to put slicks on the car and launch it with that diff though, that is not what it is designed to do. On the other end of the spectrum is a spool which is if you are only driving it a 1/4mi at a time. I have always been happy with Auburn diffs as a good middle of the road setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i was planning on putting an Auburn Pro or possibly the Eaton because it is so much cheaper. Any thing good/bad with the Eaton differentials? thanks again

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
thanks i was planning on putting an Auburn Pro or possibly the Eaton because it is so much cheaper. Any thing good/bad with the Eaton differentials? thanks again
Which Eaton are you talking about?:scratchchin

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I have always gone with the Auburn (back in the old days) or the Pro (more recently) so I can say they work great and never gave me any issues at all. I've probably had at least 7 or so.

I don't kow much about the Eaton's but my shop, who I trust completely suggests the Eaton to all of their customers (I don't know which one).

We went with the Torsen because they know how I drive and they were curious about how it worked, drove, etc and because they never had one in the shop before. I am tickled pink with it. There is a ton of feel from the two rear contact patches and I can even feel it transfering the torque around to the wheel with the most traction mid corner which is very confidence inspiring.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I've run an Auburn Pro for over two years. It's performed flawlessly. You have to use conventional gear lube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All it says is it's the Eaton 8.8 31 spline ( has carbon fiber clutch pack) but im pretty sure ima go with the auburn - also i think im going to see if they will ford will fix it since its still under the power train warranty as far as i know :) .

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
All it says is it's the Eaton 8.8 31 spline ( has carbon fiber clutch pack) but im pretty sure ima go with the auburn - also i think im going to see if they will ford will fix it since its still under the power train warranty as far as i know :) .
The Auburn uses a cone style system instead of clutches. Far superior IMHO.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
The Auburn uses a cone style system instead of clutches. Far superior IMHO.
Cone good
Plate bad

So easy a Caveman can do it:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.