Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car out last week to the drag strip (Toronto Motorsports Park, Test and Tune) for the first time ever. Never dragged before so it was a learning experience. Actually didnt even know you had to take the car to the "Tech" first...just drove straight into the 1/4 mile starting position lol, was about to race a 2011 Nissan GTR too hehe. At least i was smart enough to bring a helmet...

Anyways here are my numbers, Only got two runs because some idiot spilled Anti-Freeze all over one of the lanes so they closed it down and only ran one lane for the rest of the night. Huge line-up there.

2011 Mustang v6 Auto 3.31, max summer performance tires
First Run - TRACTION CONTROL ON - Temp 75F, 70 Humidity

R/T... .598
60'... 2.416
330... 6.249
1/8... 9.349
MPH... 80.40
1000... 12.040
1/4... 14.276
MPH... 102.90

Second Run - TRACTION CONTROL OFF - Temp around 70, 69 Humidity

R/T... .620
60'... 2.182
330... 5.957
1/8... 9.057
MPH... 79.18
1000... 11.739
1/4... 13.970
MPH... 102.98

too lazy to scan my time slips right now...

Had alot of fun plan on going back and try and beat my best time :bounce2:.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Those are some pretty good times, especially the second go. I have a similar set up to you and was at Grand Bend the other week but did not have time to wait in line.

How did you launch the car?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i run 91 octane fuel - hate that 87 crap..

My launch was just Smash and Go when the Green light hit. No reving the engine (foot on brake, rev high stuff)...

Maybe ill rev the engine next time and see if that helps out with times. Not sure on how high to take it Safely without straining the transmission too much...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Notice how your MPH stayed about the same but your elapsed time got better on the second run? Your sixty foot time had everything to do with that.
Traction is everything.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Ok i run 91 octane fuel - hate that 87 crap..

My launch was just Smash and Go when the Green light hit. No reving the engine (foot on brake, rev high stuff)...

Maybe ill rev the engine next time and see if that helps out with times.
Interesting. I will have to try both strategies tooand see what works best. I may also try to smoothly depress the throttle instead of jamming it down; may help with traction.

Btw, was traction control on or off?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man i forgot to add an important note: Ill edit above..

My first run was with TRACTION CONTROL ON

Second run was with TRACTION CONTROL OFF

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Cool :bigthumbsup Looks like you hooked better with T/C off lol

T/C probably just bogged the engine a bit during the first run

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice times for basic stomp and go :bigthumbsup

I don't know what these V6's "should be" running, but I think it's more about having fun and improving your personal times. Anyone with more money is going to have a faster car, but I feel it's more about how you are getting better with your vehicle, regardless if it's a base V6 or a Shelby

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Fine work! These cars are great. The automatics seem to run as well as the sticks. I wouldn't worry about how high to take it - let the RPM limiter tell you. The automatic probably insulated you from the wheel hop that plagued me last Saturday at LVD. My 3.31 stick car also leaves me deciding whether to short shift and use 4 gears, or shift closer to 7000 and use only 3.... If you look at my times, you will see we could have a hell of a lot of fun with 2 out of 3 match races !

As I learned last weekend, this board isn't much for drag racing. Glad to see you got a response from us simpaticos.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nice runs! Can't wait to see what mine will do :winks

-J

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
As I learned last weekend, this board isn't much for drag racing. Glad to see you got a response from us simpaticos.
Yeah it is somewhat odd for a Mustang forum. The Mustang club I belong to is ALL about drag racing and going to Dairy Queen lol

Oh and OP, did you NEED a helmet at Cayuga? I think at Grand Bend and St. Thomas they only require a helmet for sub-14 second cars. I hope I can get away without one when I go

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might go again this friday since there forcasting sunny weather 80F, not sure on the humidity though. I'll post some vids and hopefully i'll do better....this time ill rev a little before the green light goes on :winks. I'm assuming the best numbers at the drag strip would be early spring, late fall?? Hate racing in hot humid weather cause i know its affecting the times.

2011BlackV6 wrote: "Corrected, the [email protected] run converts to [email protected] MPH."

wow didnt even know you could correct all that weather info at the track..interesting. I'm assuming you've been to that track since your pretty close to it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know alot of stock manual 2011+ v6 stangs are pulling 13.7 runs. Motortrend has the auto doing 14.5 on the 1/4 mile, which seems a little strange since autos generally do very well at the drag strip...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and OP, did you NEED a helmet at Cayuga? I think at Grand Bend and St. Thomas they only require a helmet for sub-14 second cars. I hope I can get away without one when I go
Need to wear a helm when your under 14 sec...but it seems they want you to wear one regardless...first thing he asked was wheres the Helm! Dunno maybe he thought it was a 5.0...Most cars there were v8... wish there were more 2010+ camaro v6 and challenger v6 etc to race (nothing but supped up R/Ts and SRT8's)...sucks when you gotta race against guys that are bigger than you:worship.

735 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Using that Calculator
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com , knowing the date and time i took my last run, this is what i got (June 17, 10pm - Toronto Motorsport Park, Ontario, Canada).

Correct your ET and MPH using the DA (Beta Testing)

Density Altitude (feet above sea level): 1671
1/4 mile ET: 13.975 seconds
1/4 mile trap speed: 102.98 MPH

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
DA Corrected = 13.713 @ 104.987 MPH

735 Posts
Using that Calculator
DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com , knowing the date and time i took my last run, this is what i got (June 17, 10pm - Toronto Motorsport Park, Ontario, Canada).

Correct your ET and MPH using the DA (Beta Testing)

Density Altitude (feet above sea level): 1671
1/4 mile ET: 13.975 seconds
1/4 mile trap speed: 102.98 MPH

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
DA Corrected = 13.713 @ 104.987 MPH
Glad you used the calculator for the exact time you raced, makes it more accurate.

For an un-tuned automatic with just axle backs, 13.7 at 105mph is very unusual. Hold on to that car, it's a one-off freak!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts