Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard that at roughly 6psi is where things start to become unsafe for the v6 in my year.

and that with bigger injectors and pump 12-14psi is the limit for stock internals. after that the sky is the limit lol

i need some turbo experts in here cuz imma bout to get technical

i have an internal wastegate t3 that max's at 8psi

.57 Compressor Wheel 12 blade (each turbine)
Balanced Wet float Bearings
3" Inlet w/ 2" Outlet
.50 A/R Compressor Housing
.63 A/R turbine Housing

its basically a super turbo cuz with out the internal gate its capable of withstanding a 400hp gain.

here's my questions.
1. is this turbo the right size for my mustang.
2. for now only needing 5psi could i just run it off my drivers side exhaust??
3. this turbo is a new one called a hybrid and has no oil return line...i've read about turbo's smoking when they are below the engines oil level. would being below the level effect it? and if so do any of you know why there is no oil return and just a feed line?
4. i'm kinda curious as to what the heck that little pipe going into the exhaust manifolds is. it goes to these circle things by my intake in front of the thermostat. what are those and why do you need that pipe going into the manifold. if you need it?
5. i've seen alot of turbokits for mustangs and setups already installed on the stang. without buying new manifolds could i chop my stocks and just weld salvaged pipe from the rest of my exhaust to where my turbo will sit to the left of my stock battery position, then have the intercooler in front of the radiator yada yada. stock manifolds are 2in. and the other piping is 2.25 til the cats then 2.5 all the way out. so the deminsions of it are pretty much even.
6. for 5psi do i need bigger injectors or pump and if so what are my stock injectors/pump and what would i need?
7. same question for 12 psi lol :gringreen
8. where should i install the blow off valve? its a 2.5 pipe and my intake is 3in so...
9. how the heck do you use/install a timing chain?? and how much would i have to retard it so my pistons wont detonate at 5psi and 12psi
10. would 5psi screw up my maf?, honestly could i just take the damn thing off and keep the IAC on?? and that question is for any psi.

thank you if you really replied to all these questions haha. like seriously this would end my stupid endless search of looking up crap on google.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i think this turbo would work better with a twin set-up. Only 8 psi max?? thats a baby turbo
No you cant just take you maf off!!!!!!! it should handle the massive boost you will b making. Mine pegged around 13 psi. I would still go with 24lbs injectors if i were you.
bottom line you really need the knowledge! If you are gonna make a kit yourself you need to understand the logics of building a kit to best suite your car!!! Or just buy a kit.
didnt you already have a thread about turbos and it just turned into an arguement cuz you wouldnt listen to logic?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think this turbo would work better with a twin set-up. Only 8 psi max?? thats a baby turbo
No you cant just take you maf off!!!!!!! it should handle the massive boost you will b making. Mine pegged around 13 psi. I would still go with 24lbs injectors if i were you.
bottom line you really need the knowledge! If you are gonna make a kit yourself you need to understand the logics of building a kit to best suite your car!!! Or just buy a kit.
didnt you already have a thread about turbos and it just turned into an arguement cuz you wouldnt listen to logic?
ya i asked before but i learn more and more about peoples replies and then i run into new problems. lol and 8 psi is only max with the internal wastegate. with an external wastegate it can withstand 35psi. and are you using 24's with yer 13psi?? or are you saying to use 24's for my 5psi?

and that turbo setup with the turbo up front is how i've seen almost every sn95 stang have them.

i actually have a better idea about that. pull is actually better than push. so what if i put the cooler before the turbo? then instead of having a pipe going thru the front then up the side into the engine it will just be that pipe going up the side. ugh i wish i could draw a pic on here hahaha.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ya i asked before but i learn more and more about peoples replies and then i run into new problems. lol and 8 psi is only max with the internal wastegate. with an external wastegate it can withstand 35psi. and are you using 24's with yer 13psi?? or are you saying to use 24's for my 5psi?

and that turbo setup with the turbo up front is how i've seen almost every sn95 stang have them.

i actually have a better idea about that. pull is actually better than push. so what if i put the cooler before the turbo? then instead of having a pipe going thru the front then up the side into the engine it will just be that pipe going up the side. ugh i wish i could draw a pic on here hahaha.
No i have a set of 60# injectors, mafia maf extender, and 255 walbro fuel pump. Not positive but i think you have to go with more injector, depends what your future plans are for the car. Better to plan ahead and have too much injector as opposed to not enough

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i have a set of 60# injectors, mafia maf extender, and 255 walbro fuel pump. Not positive but i think you have to go with more injector, depends what your future plans are for the car. Better to plan ahead and have too much injector as opposed to not enough
iight okay. so i have another question. can u put any type of fuel injector in your car. lets say.... injectors off a gst eclipse. or is every fuel rail specifically designed.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts

I don't know where to start with you, so I'm just going to leave your posts alone. Your ideas and questions are idiotic. My Son will be advised to do the same......

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
having the intercooler in front of the turbo would be completely pointless. since the air doesnt get heated up until the turbo compresses it, the intercooler needs to cool the air AFTER it leaves the turbo. not before.

iight okay. so i have another question. can u put any type of fuel injector in your car. lets say.... injectors off a gst eclipse.
no.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks shinerstang since i'm totally middle aged and know everything about turbo charging a naturally aspirated car like you know. i wouldnt be asking questions if i already knew so you might wanna take that into consideration

and no its not pointless cuz i've saw it done before. i just didnt know how well it worked out.

3000gt's when they go to a single turbo setup they have it filter, cooler, turbo. i've heard of a few 300zx's set up like that as well.

instead of pulling in engine bay air then cooled it pulls in cold air then the cold air is compressed. it keeps your turbo significantly cooler too cuz of the cold flow. not to mention that the turbo has to be in front of the car for this to work so its twice the air cooling.

i have a question about vacuum lines as well. where do you hook it up?? my intake manifold has a few vacuum ports but they go into the heads... what do you do? idk anything about turboing a car honestly. all i know is what i've seen, what i've heard not work and that boost increases power so...

ugh would it be easier just to get an eaton supercharger and intake manifold off a thunderbird and install it? i'm sick of all the wasted time an ****, i just wanna get it done.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
An Eaton off of a Supercoupe would not work on your model. You have a split-port, they are used for single-port V6's...

You would be better off buying a complete, brand new supercharger kit and having that installed than trying any of your weird idea's about a turbo install... If you have the money to waste on blowing engines up until you figure out what you are doing then by all means go for it.

12-14psi is safe for stock internals?!?! Do you even realize what kind of power that would be making?

You need to listen to what people tell you. I see you asking questions all the time and taking what information you like and leaving the rest behind like it does not matter... Engines do not become fast just because you throw a turbo on them...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An Eaton off of a Supercoupe would not work on your model. You have a split-port, they are used for single-port V6's...

You would be better off buying a complete, brand new supercharger kit and having that installed than trying any of your weird idea's about a turbo install... If you have the money to waste on blowing engines up until you figure out what you are doing then by all means go for it.

12-14psi is safe for stock internals?!?! Do you even realize what kind of power that would be making?

You need to listen to what people tell you. I see you asking questions all the time and taking what information you like and leaving the rest behind like it does not matter... Engines do not become fast just because you throw a turbo on them...

12-14 is what i was told on here. thats basically yer max and i know thats like a 70 to 80% whp gain. so the split port is in the intake manifold?? how does that work? isnt the fuel rail lined into the heads... and i do listen to others input its just all of you criticize me for not knowing about these mustangs. idk anything about ohv motors or even pony cars for that matter. its kinda different for me cuz every car i've ever owned was awd and dohc. so what do you have to do for a supercharger then. obviously it runs from the belt but what do you do?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
14.7 psi of boost should double your horsepower, if everything is done right

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
12-14 is what i was told on here. thats basically yer max and i know thats like a 70 to 80% whp gain. so the split port is in the intake manifold?? how does that work? isnt the fuel rail lined into the heads... and i do listen to others input its just all of you criticize me for not knowing about these mustangs. idk anything about ohv motors or even pony cars for that matter. its kinda different for me cuz every car i've ever owned was awd and dohc. so what do you have to do for a supercharger then. obviously it runs from the belt but what do you do?
12-14 is going to get you around 330rwhp give or take and that is going to be hard on stock internals.

The split-port is the head and intake design on the top end of the engine. They have split-port intakes that allow for better power gains in both the low and top end of the rev ranges.

We do not criticize you for not knowing about Mustangs... We criticize you because you give out horrible advice and never seem to say the same thing twice or know what you are talking about... You do not even have it dyno'd but it is pushing about 275rwhp? On 5psi? What all do you have done to the car to get it pushing 100rwhp over stock on 5psi. What is the set up? Did you post pictures??

Like I have said in previous posts, I will drive to your town and check out your car and we could end all of the people giving you ****... I live in Indiana as well and I like seeing "locally" modded cars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've never dyno'd my car because i have a friend up here that works for ford and has his own customs shop. he's gone to school for 4 years so i think he knows what he is talkin about.

5psi gives you around 75whp. like i said i have a really free flow exhaust system. this is how we solved it. we turned the internal wastegate to only allow 1 psi into the motor which gave my engine roughly 15whp per pound, my whp was at 230whp so we just subtracted that 15 and that gives me 215whp. and that 175whp for the stock hp is understated. brake hp to wheel hp is roughly an 5% decrease i think so that would actually make it the stock whp 183. with the diameter that my collectors and down pipe plus the flow thru with no cats or res. it matches up to about 210-220rwhp. i just kinda chose the middle.

does it increase hp to insulate your pipes? like i have cooling tape on my exhaust but would it helped if i insulated my cold pipes to keep the air cold from the engine?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i've never dyno'd my car because i have a friend up here that works for ford and has his own customs shop. he's gone to school for 4 years so i think he knows what he is talkin about.
5psi gives you around 75whp. like i said i have a really free flow exhaust system. this is how we solved it. we turned the internal wastegate to only allow 1 psi into the motor which gave my engine roughly 15whp per pound, my whp was at 230whp so we just subtracted that 15 and that gives me 215whp. and that 175whp for the stock hp is understated. brake hp to wheel hp is roughly an 5% decrease i think so that would actually make it the stock whp 183. with the diameter that my collectors and down pipe plus the flow thru with no cats or res. it matches up to about 210-220rwhp. i just kinda chose the middle.
Ok you say you have NEVER had your car on the dyno. So how do you know your making 15whp per lb of boost?????? I just dont see the logic on how you got your numbers! Or are you just guessing.
Sorry, but just because your buddy went to school for 4 years doesnt mean he knows what hes talking about all the time.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

does it increase hp to insulate your pipes? like i have cooling tape on my exhaust but would it helped if i insulated my cold pipes to keep the air cold from the engine?
You have never dyno'd your car because you have a friend who works for Ford??? No wonder Ford has a bad rep around the world...

You had 230rwhp from a free flowing exhaust??? And then you added a turbo kit and got 275rwhp??? The drive-train loss is 5% for both an auto and a manual on any Mustang??? So nearly nothing is lost when the car is put into gear and drive???

You have your exhaust pipes wrapped in tape??? I somehow doubt that...

Please post pictures of your set up. I have asked and I know other's have asked as well.

Also, As I have said. I can drive to your town and take pictures and post them for you if you wanted me to. I enjoy seeing modded sixes... Something tells me that you are going to evade this opportunity for the seventh time though...

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I call BS........:run_over:

This is why I told the guy I would not answer any of his questions. If you feel he is telling the truth, then ask him more questions.

Oh crap, I'll start it. Where did you hook up your BOV? What line did you hook it to? Did you ever find where your oil return line is for the turbo? Where did you install that? How did you turn down the pressure on the wastegate? Where did you hook the oil feed line to, and what did you use to regulate the pressure? What did you use for an intercooler? What diameter did you end up in regards to the piping? What did you do for O2 sensors? How far did you mount them down the system? How many O2's did you use?

Cmaurer, I think it is worth a trip up there to see him. I'll pick you up on the way through....

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i betcha he bought one of those cheap things you put in your intake tube, that just spins and they say it acts like a turbo.:gringreen

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
i betcha he bought one of those cheap things you put in your intake tube, that just spins and they say it acts like a turbo.:gringreen
lmao somehow that doesnt seem all that farfetched

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok you say you have NEVER had your car on the dyno. So how do you know your making 15whp per lb of boost?????? I just dont see the logic on how you got your numbers! Or are you just guessing.
Sorry, but just because your buddy went to school for 4 years doesnt mean he knows what hes talking about all the time.
because from what my track times say and my trap speed thats my estimated hp and since i'm only pushing 5psi you just take my original hp divide by 1 bar then mulitply yer psi which comes out to like 70whp for 5psi. divide those and thats close to 15whp er sumthin like that idk i explained it in the last post.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.