Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 GT and it has the orginal gauges but the fuel and temp act strange sometimes...like yesterday i was driving home from work i hit a bump my gas gauge was on empty light on and they went to 1/4 tank...I looked at the temp gauge it was almost on the red....most of the time the temp gauge reads in the middle or a little lower...What is the normal position for the stock temp anyways? What is causing this? loose wire...ground????

·
Registered
842 Posts
Just sounds like the cluster is going....Most cars run in the midle with temp. but not all

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just sounds like the cluster is going....Most cars run in the midle with temp. but not all
Thanks for that info mine is in the middle most times....what do you mean the cluster is going bad?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I'd say the sending unit has issues.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
It's the IVR (instrument voltage regulator) that is attached to the rear of the cluster, just behind and between the oil pressure and fuel level gauges. The contacts inside the IVR aren't breaking like they're supposed to and the gauges are being sent too much voltage, causing them to spike.

When that happens rap on the instrument cluster's plastic face with your fingers or knuckles and the gauges should return to normal.

Buy a new IVR and install it OR build your own that puts out +5.0v to the gauges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.