Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I must be getting older but I am satisfied with the sound of the stock GT exhaust. What I didn't like was the small 3 1/2" exhaust tips Ford uses. It was especially noticable on my California Special as it uses the GT500 rear valance which has 4" tips stock.

So I did some shopping around and had some trouble finding a tip that would fit. On my 2011 the OEM tip is 5" long, 2.5" inlet size and the muffler has a short pipe that has some slight bends before the welded on tip. In short the tip could not be longer than 5" unless you could live with it sticking out further from the valance. Because of the bends in the pipe the tip would not slide on farther than the stock tip.

Finally found a Magnaflow tip (part # 35136) that would work. It is 4" in diameter, 5" long with 2.5" inlet. Ordered both for $65.00.

Putting them on turned out to be rather easy. I pulled the mufflers off and cut the old tips off. I used an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting wheel and carefully cut at 90 degrees to the pipe, just beside the weld. I did not want to cut through the tip and pipe, but just the tip. After some carefull cutting the old tip slid right off. Sliding the new tip on showed another problem. The new tip did not have a sleeve to fit tight to the remaining pipe. Just an angled edge to a 2.5" hole. I would have needed another pair of hands to center the tip on the pipe and even then it could end up being off center. Turns out the old tip outer dimension is just slightly smaller than the new tip inner dimension. I just slid the new tip on, followed by the old tip inside it. I slid the old tip just far enough to hold the new tip at the right location. Don't slide it all the way on or you end up welding both tips on. After everytning was in place a little welding and grinding and new tips were installed. I also painted the mufflers black and that too made a huge difference. They used to stick out like a sore thumb bit now that they are black they disappear under the car.

In short $70.00 and I'm happy. The new tips look great, the mufflers are painted, and since I like the stock exhaust I saved some money. Decent mod for people who don't want a louder exhaust.

Here are some pics.

Car when I first picked it up. Small tips in a big opening.

Darcy & Cathy Mustang  2010-12-24 11-58-53 Arrival.JPG

Pics after the new tips and mufflers painted

Mustang Exhaust Mod-1.jpg
Mustang Exhaust Mod-2.jpg
Mustang Exhaust Mod-3.jpg
Mustang Exhaust Mod-4.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks nice. I, too, painted the back plate of my stock mufflers with some bar-b-q paint---and it improved the look of the rear dramatically. Really camouflages the mufflers under the black trim.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
For some reason the automatic cars are louder than the manuals. The GT500 mufflers on my car are really loud and this might be a mod that I'll try.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some reason the automatic cars are louder than the manuals. The GT500 mufflers on my car are really loud and this might be a mod that I'll try.:bigthumbsup
I don't think the automatic is louder but it shifts sooner than a person driving a manual would shift (Ford gas mileage thing). That puts a little more load on the engine resulting in a deeper tone. Sort of like going up a hill - engine under load - louder exhaust. I notice it all the time - take off slow and put my foot into it a little but the auto has already shifted to 2nd gear so the engine is loaded and the exhaust becomes deeper - sort of like it though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the great writeup and pics. It really does make a difference with the 4" diameter tips. I like the look. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks great! Funny how a small mod can make such a big difference. I like how it fills out the openings so much better than the originals. Blacking-out the mufflers is a good idea...I may put that can of BBQ paint in my garage to use this weekend!

I too like the factory exhaust. It's nice on trips, as well as to camouflage me a bit if my foot gets a little heavy while accelerating and I don't notice that patrol car nearby! :)

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't think the automatic is louder but it shifts sooner than a person driving a manual would shift (Ford gas mileage thing). That puts a little more load on the engine resulting in a deeper tone. Sort of like going up a hill - engine under load - louder exhaust. I notice it all the time - take off slow and put my foot into it a little but the auto has already shifted to 2nd gear so the engine is loaded and the exhaust becomes deeper - sort of like it though.
I've never looked at it that way but you're right the trans does play a major part in the sound.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
really looks cool, liek what ford shoulda used the first time on the tips

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never looked at it that way but you're right the trans does play a major part in the sound.
You guys do realize that there are 2011 GT "manual" and "auto" factory mufflers and that they have different part numbers. And it is possible that the auto mufflers are louder because of different muffler construction.The tips are definitively different between the auto and the manual factory mufflers.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
You guys do realize that there are 2011 GT "manual" and "auto" factory mufflers and that they have different part numbers. And it is possible that the auto mufflers are louder because of different muffler construction.The tips are definitively different between the auto and the manual factory mufflers.
I know and I still haven't decided which to sell. GT500
or stock auto. I just might put the stockers back on.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well done, that looks SO MUCH BETTER! I'm in the same boat, I like the sound of the stock exhaust and just want bigger tips. Unfortunately I don't have welding tools/skills. But maybe I can buy those tips and just take them to a muffler shop and they can do the same thing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts