Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 26k on my stock Pirelli tires. They still have fairly good tread on them, but they seem to make noise (no means of comparison) and I'm thinking that the ride is nowhere near as smooth as it used to be. The Michelin tires I'm looking at as replacements will run $1k. My question is, I'm just not sure if it's the current tires that are not performing well, or if it's just me thinking that they are not. Any advice on this, or suggestions? I'm a daily driver and not a racer. I have (don't laugh) seldom been above 4000 rpm. Not hard on the car or tires at all. From the sound of it, I'd love to step into the Michelins, but I just want to be sure I'm doing the replacement at a good time. 26k on the Pirellis. What do you think?

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
26K is getting pretty close to their life expectancy, I think they are generally good for about 30-35K max

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If there is an adequate amount of tread left on the tire and its not cracking or anything thing id keep running them, but im cheap. As far as noise if its driving you nuts just change them out. 26K is about average for the stock tires before they give out.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Depends on the Pirellis. Regular P Zero? P Zero Neros? P Zero Rossos? Ford kind of raided the Pirelli catalog when deciding on tire for the newer S197's. They all have different life expectancies.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
You should be able to get some more life if they're the Nero All Seasons...but if you want the new ones, why not? New tires are fun.

Oh....and....let that coyote breathe!!!! 4000rpm??:nono::nono::nono::nono:

·
Registered
208 Posts
My Pzero all-seasons got seriously noisy at about 10-12k. Turns out they're very sensitive to proper alignment. But at 26k its probably also the age of the tires as you say.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I think, with living in Florida, I'm gonna go with the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2. Less than $1k and suitable for my wet/dry yet snowless purposes. Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Update: Ended up ordering the Michelin pilot sport A/S III Y with a good deal from Tire Kingdom. To be installed Friday.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my new Michelins installed today. Sure am glad I did. I can hear my engine growl again. Before, it was masked by the noise of the Pirellis. The new tires grip the road amazingly. Just like a new car. I am very pleased that I made the switch. Thanks again to all for the helpful comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts