Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my V6 Mustang in for a 2008 GT Mustang with the five speed manual transmission. Eventually I will be changing the rear gears to a hotter ratio, 3.73 or 4.10, however, due to the present lack of funds I have to work with what I have for a while. I will have Bama do me up some tunes, but I would like to know what the stock ratio is that came in the 2008 GT with the manual transmission?

I will appreciate any info which anyone can provide to me... thanks...

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
The standard gatio on a GT was 3.31 but they did come with an optional upgrade to 3.55.

·
Registered
849 Posts
look on the rear end, there should be a tag on one of the bolts that hold the rear cover on. it should say either 3.55 or whatever ratio u do have, my '03 says 3.27 so...... (but its an automatic)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just because the tag on the rear end cover says that, it doesnt mean thats whats in it, someone could have already changed them. If you really want to know pull the cover off and look at the edge of the ring gear and it will have the ratio engraved on the ring gear. More than likely its all stock anyway. Im the only one who has a mustang that nothing seems to match up on it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
most ppl also remove the tag if they change the gears

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies... I would hazard a guess as to the way the car lauches in first gear that it has the 3.31 which I found on one site was the standard gear for the GT.

Just for your information, there is a way to tell the gear ratio, but it involves putting the rear of the car up on jack stands. What you do is mark a spot on one of the tires, then have someone watch it while you rotate the driveshaft by hand and count the revolutions. A 4.10 will make a little over 4 revolutions of the driveshaft to one revolution of the tire, where as a 3.31 will make about 3 1/3 revolutions, a 3.55 will go about 3 1/2 revolutions. I know it may seem tedious, but it beets taking the rear cover off, cleaning the old gasket off, then putting on sealant and a new gasket and filling the rear again with fluid. However, if you needed to change the fluid anyway... as they say... go for it and open the differential up.

That is my experience. I was looking for an easy way to help me choose between the 4.10's and 3.73 rear gears based on how the car was currently responding.

Thanks to all for their replies, they did help and were most appreciated....

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.