Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headscratch:Hello,I took my upper intake off today to sand it and paint it to match my car since I don't have money for any upgrades right now.The EGR is completely clogged,the T/B spacer where egr is was completely packed with gunk,my intake has oil or carbon build up everywhere,It is just plain ol' nasty looking.Can the intake be cleaned of the gunk or not,will it run better once done?My car uses oil so would any of this have anything to do with oil consumption?Any help would be appreciated.:so

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sounds about right if the car has never had the intake off. The only way to really clean it is to pull it off and clean it. You can try carb. or brake cleaner to clean it but it will take a lot of it. I would try that first though and use a gun cleaning brush to get in tight places. If you really want it clean then pull the injectors out and all of the other sensors and soak it in parts cleaner. You can get a gallon of that stuff at Advance Auto or any other parts store. Take that and put it in a metal pan and soak the intake for a few hours. Then scrub it with the brush and just take a water hose to it. Oil in the intake can mean many things but I would guess it might be the PCV valve so replace that. It could also be valve seals but try the PCV first. A "little" oil in the intake on an engine that old is expected.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If it's a hard clog, you can take anything that will fit and knock it out, then use a stiff round wire brush to clean out the EGR port. Soaking it if it's gotten hard as a rock won't help, it'll have to be knocked out. Then you can run engine cleaner through the intake, maybe letting it sit for a while for it to work, then wash it out and allow it to dry.
It's probably backwards though... the clog isn't causing the oil consumption, the oil consumption is causing the clog. Clean out the intake, get a new PCV valve, and then see how the oil situation does.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,I had already put a new pcv valve in a couple months ago.I was told to clean the screen that is under the pcv valve,how do I get that out?

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you've got the intake off just spray a can of carb cleaner through it.
he said the upper intake not the lower, what i did was get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out slowly, first take that rubber grommet out, others use a narrow screw, you can screw it into the screen a little and pull it out

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
use needle nose pliers to pull the screen below the PCV and if it won't budge, you'll have to spary some WD40 or something in there to losen the crud holding it in - I bet is caked solid, so don't ry to clean it as it won't clean good enough - buy a new one as they are only a couple $ - it's called a "PCV Filter".

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That screen costs only $5 at Auto Zone, if it's that bad just get a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.