Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock set up with no mods and thats the way I like it. I just need to replace my Upper Rear Control Arm Bushing with rubber ones. I seen a pair of AcDelco Part # 45G11049 for $16 and a pair of MOOG Part # K8637 for $27 from ROCKAUTO.COM.
Which one is better and I think both come with a shell.
Is this something I can replace myself? If so how?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you are talking about the bushings that are in the axle housing, the only way I've seen to remove them is to burn them out with a torch. Being so close to the fuel tank, taking out the rear is my advice. I've seen people hit them with hammers only to break the "ears" off the rear. Then your S.O.L. I wouldn't use a polyurethane bushing as they are stiff and will squeak. "Just Suspension" in NC has a poly graphite bushing that rocks.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I too have seen them be burned out. That can make a mess too.
I'm from NC and haven't ever heard of Just Suspension. Learn something new everyday.

Just Suspension Online Store

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Yes, I have used that tool. I used air tools though. It's literally like a hot knife through butter. It takes longer to set the tool up than it does to remove and re-install the bushing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to ask this but does anyone have one that I could borrow? I'll pay for shipping both ways. I just hate to buy a tool to just use it once.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yea dont bother to do it if you dont have that tool, i replaced them when i bought upr upper and lower control arms. i had to take a drill, swiss cheese the bushing. then take a hack saw and cut a slot in bushing housing to relieve the pressure. when i got it out i had to use a ball joint press to get the new one in only to find out it would push it in half way. so i pounded the hell out of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didnt think getting the bushing out was that hard, just drilled some holes in it. I took my wheels off and came in through the wheelwells with a sawzall with a metal blade on it and cut a slot in the remaining bushing case, it came right out. Have the new bushings in the freezer up until just before you put them in and use a flat faced 5 lb sledge and a piece of wood if you like, to knock those suckers in. They aren't supposed to go so far on that the collar touches the housing, they're supposed to be set with equal amounts of bushing case protruding from either side of the housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.