Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the cork gasket seals? It just seems strange that the factory are metal with rubber on inside edge. Would it be better to keep the stock gasket seals if they are still in good condition rather than change it with cork looking gasket seals that Fel Pro has?

R

·
0 Posts
if the stock ones are good condition use them & save the money for something else......

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
lots of guys say the cork is junk,but FWIW i have cork on mine and ive been able to re-use them literally 5 times now and they dont leak a drop

R

·
0 Posts
lots of guys say the cork is junk,but FWIW i have cork on mine and ive been able to re-use them literally 5 times now and they dont leak a drop

Cork gaskets and a B cam.......:rollgrin:

The cork gaskets will work when properly installed......

Since you have them use them once and throw them away......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cork gaskets will work when properly installed......

Since you have them use them once and throw them away......
I must have not explained myself properly. I just bought the set and I am debating to keep the stock gasket seal instead of the Fel Pro. I am talking about the Cork seal gasket that Fel Pro provides. I am just tyring to compare the two sets with each other. Cork = stock. metal vs Cork.

R

·
0 Posts
I must have not explained myself properly. I just bought the set and I am debating to keep the stock gasket seal instead of the Fel Pro. I am talking about the Cork seal gasket that Fel Pro provides. I am just tyring to compare the two sets with each other. Cork = stock. metal vs Cork.
At this time it would just be a matter of choice and proper installation

no major difference one way or the other......

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
always gotta be hatin' on my cam reggie..damn..:heha:

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
and a damn fine job you're doing

·
Registered
154 Posts
The cork gaskets suck on a 302, they always leak. Do yourself a favor and buy a steel and rubber gaskets. They are reusable and don't leak a drop. I know my P heads had them still attached when I got them, so Ford must have started using them as factory at some point.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I have the cork and they don't leak a bit. I've also had the valve covers on and off numerous times and never had a problem.

I've also used the rubber/metal gasket and that worked fine as well.

Since you have a choice, I'd reuse the ones on there since they don't have a problem and keep the cork as a backup.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
The cork gaskets suck on a 302, they always leak. Do yourself a favor and buy a steel and rubber gaskets. They are reusable and don't leak a drop. I know my P heads had them still attached when I got them, so Ford must have started using them as factory at some point.
see what i mean?? lol..mine dont leak a drop

I have the cork and they don't leak a bit. I've also had the valve covers on and off numerous times and never had a problem.

I've also used the rubber/metal gasket and that worked fine as well.

Since you have a choice, I'd reuse the ones on there since they don't have a problem and keep the cork as a backup.
x2 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In my experience steel core rubber gaskets are the way to go. They aren't picky about installation quality, they are reusable, and almost never leak unless damaged.
I've never liked cork, though I don't work with cork that often. I've gotten it to seal alright, but eventually I've always gotten a little seepage.

It's up to you, either one should be fine, but if it were mine, I'd shell out a little cash and get steel/rubber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.