Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any HP gains to be had by swapping to an aftermarket H pipe with cats. I would not want to go cat-less. I understand that an X-pipe is more efficient but I want to stay with the old school H pipe sound. Is the only difference a higher flow cat and if so, can cats only be replaced? Does anybody know what is different about the Bullitt H-pipe?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Not much difference. You could certainly have the stock cats cut out and have a set of compact h/f cats welded in-place.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Will just cutting and replacing the cats with hi-flow cats add much volume? Or is it not enough to notice?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was having some work on my car a few months ago and was making conversation while waiting. I asked how much for them to put some hi-flow cats on my car and the guy told me he would do it. He said it's illegal and they can't touch the cats for 7 years or something like that. What gives, was that guy full of it?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You technically can never touch the cats per federal law unless they fail. And then you're required to install new OEM cats.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So it looks replacing the cats with hi flow cats could be an issue if you can't do it yourself.

Who makes an H pipe with hi-flow cats other than Pypes? I don't have headers. I really don't want to fool with 4 pieces. To many chances for a rattle.

Is it worth changing to a new H with Hi-flow cats if you are more or less just looking for more volume?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
So it looks replacing the cats with hi flow cats could be an issue if you can't do it yourself.

Who makes an H pipe with hi-flow cats other than Pypes? I don't have headers. I really don't want to fool with 4 pieces. To many chances for a rattle.

Is it worth changing to a new H with Hi-flow cats if you are more or less just looking for more volume?
I think JBA makes a catted H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.