Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm one of the few people that likes the stock machined aluminum wheels on the '05. Only I'd like to go wider in the back. Anyone seen knock-offs that are 17x9?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Really? You would buy another set of them just wider? wow! I'm still peewed (a year now) for paying to 'upgrade'...:sterb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the standard rims on the 06 GT's but like to go wider for the rear tires, maybe we can buy four and I will take two for the rear and you can take the other two :laughlitt

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Packoo said:
I like the standard rims on the 06 GT's but like to go wider for the rear tires, maybe we can buy four and I will take two for the rear and you can take the other two :laughlitt
1. He has the -05 Machined Upgrade 17" Wheels...
2. No trades, deals, buys, sales, etc. allowed in the forums... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
My "upgrades" are sitting in the basement. Maybe I'll put them back on when I get my collector plates in 24 years.

The stock Pirelli's didn't fare too well in the recent Car & Driver tests either. I always thought they were a little hard...not too grippy. The C&D tests confirmed it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Mine are on a V6 in West Virginia... Looks sharp on there though!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stock wheels on 05 GTs suck big time.

They should've been 18x9 stock.

The Perellis suck big time - they have no grip at all.

Overall a poor selection by Ford for economic reasons.

Fortunately, it's correctable but it will be expensive - at least $1200 for 4 rims and tires.

G

·
To keep the $$ of the '05 GT down to the masses, I feel FORD did a great job with the bullit/ Pirelli setup as stock.

I launch decently in the street and can corner with the ricers, I think it may too harsh to say Ford blew this.
That said, I will get 4 new rims and 4 new Nittos soon. I like the stock rims but, they are dime a dozen now. =/

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4511.21 said:
My "upgrades" are sitting in the basement. Maybe I'll put them back on when I get my collector plates in 24 years.

The stock Pirelli's didn't fare too well in the recent Car & Driver tests either. I always thought they were a little hard...not too grippy. The C&D tests confirmed it.
which edition of C/D are you refering to? I haven't received a copy in a while, perhap my subscription ran out. What does C/D suggest?

·
Registered
357 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
which edition of C/D are you refering to? I haven't received a copy in a while, perhap my subscription ran out. What does C/D suggest?
December 2005 "Shock & Awe" ...has the Z06 and Viper on the cover. They ranked 11 tires all mounted on the Tire Rack's BMW's...all 225/45R17's. They ranked them for overall performance but did show individual marks for Dry, Wet, Skidpad and Autocross scores. They tested the:
BFG g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxes T1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

Overall the Goodyears won. Pirelli's were 7th overall.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you go to Tire Racks website, they rate the Zero Nero pretty well. It's not a handling tire, it's a M/s and does real well. Look and see how much they get for them in a 275/40/18 size.

I like this one. Too bad it's not in an 18"

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
I hate to disagree with people again but................
As far as grip goes they're pretty good I got a 1.95 sec. 60ft. with them. The best I could get with my 275/40 17 BFG Drag Radials is 1.77 sec.

The real problem with them is the size Ford chose to use. They chose a 55 series tire which has more sidewall than most enthusiasts would like. They knew that they hit a homerun with the Mustang and no matter what wheel and tire size they used they would sell them all. I said it to all my friends from the moment I saw the final production version that in 2-3 years the car will probably have a hood scoop and 3/4 panel "brake ducts" from the factory.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with the stock 17" machined aluminum wheels. I looked and looked at them on the car and finally said to myself, they have to go. Here is a pic with the stock 17" machined aluminum wheels, and one with the 40th Anniversary Bullits w/Tri-Bar spinner. The bullits are painted Argent to match my body color.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I hate to disagree with people again but................
As far as grip goes they're pretty good I got a 1.95 sec. 60ft. with them. The best I could get with my 275/40 17 BFG Drag Radials is 1.77 sec.

The real problem with them is the size Ford chose to use. They chose a 55 series tire which has more sidewall than most enthusiasts would like. They knew that they hit a homerun with the Mustang and no matter what wheel and tire size they used they would sell them all. I said it to all my friends from the moment I saw the final production version that in 2-3 years the car will probably have a hood scoop and 3/4 panel "brake ducts" from the factory.
I agree w/the tire wheel deal. It's a good tire for what it is.

About the brake scoops and such. I'd like to see the 1/4 glass removed and vents installed and functional like the 65 fastback. Not into the bolt on look since it's so obvious.

Attachments

G

·
redbullet said:
I agree w/the tire wheel deal. It's a good tire for what it is.

About the brake scoops and such. I'd like to see the 1/4 glass removed and vents installed and functional like the 65 fastback. Not into the bolt on look since it's so obvious.
Ahh, the old owange ponies, suhweet....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
look at all that sidewall... coool! :worship

1 - 20 of 24 Posts