Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopping Distance Brembo vs Stock

15K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Allentown 
#1 ·
I realize the Brembo's are intended for track duty. Are there any compelling reasons to have them for non track duty? Do they have a significant increase in stopping power? How good are the stock breaks?

#2 ·
The stock breaks are very good but heat up and fade. The brembos stop a lil better and resist fade better.

Besides track fun, other reasons for brembos might be if you live in the mountains, canyons or are normally just very hard on breaks. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

#3 ·
I just installed the GT500 Brembo front brake kit on my 2010 GT. I thought the difference was huge. I do not take part in track days, but I do like driving our mountain roads. With the stock setup, brake fade was pretty common if I'm hard on the corners! To me, it was worth the upgrade. Plus you can usually pick up a takeoff set for under $700!

#6 ·
I just installed the GT500 Brembo front brake kit on my 2010 GT. I thought the difference was huge. I do not take part in track days, but I do like driving our mountain roads. With the stock setup, brake fade was pretty common if I'm hard on the corners! To me, it was worth the upgrade. Plus you can usually pick up a takeoff set for under $700!
Hmm....i just realized i have no clue how to drive..lol. I basically learned how to handle my car from gran tourismo and Need for speed.

I have always been told "slow in/fast out" equals faster lap times..i usually down shift pretty hard going into a corner...cost into it..and then immediately go WOT mid corner and pull all the way through it and back out again..as hards as i can with the backing in coming a bit lose.

i was told the acceleartion brings the rear end in line and you DONT WANT to be on the breaks when the lateral G's of a hard corner are in full force unless you are trying to power slide..and that being on the gas actuall prevents sliding.

So when i read about you guys breaking so hard coming into corners..i have to wonder...AM I DRIVING COMPLETELY WRONG?....

LOL..i never thought about it before because im usually RUNNING OVER WHAT EVER is in front of me mid corner to exit..so i just always assumed i was driving correctly.

My point is..im not really on the break...AT ALL in the corners..if im on the break its as im approaching the corner and down shifting....learned that from "stig"...hahahahah

Please advise.

#4 ·
Manual or auto? Guys who drive stick do a lot of fun downshifting which really takes pressure off the breaks.

#5 ·
The calipers are better and more responsive but the disc leaves something to be desired.

A regular on here recommended that if I go this set up (which I plan to) to get some slotted rotors and introduce brake cooling ducts from the front bumper, and you'll never have to worry about overheating.

CDC's chin spoiler should have an adaptive brake cooler, waiting for them to release the kit for that.

#8 ·
I got the Brembo package (at aprox $1700) for more than just the brakes. I loved the rims and they are 19x9 (no upgrade needed, the optional rims alone can cost close to a grand), comes with custom ECS tune and summer only tires. At $1695, it was a no brainer if you like the rims and don't mind the summer tires. Obviously, this was set up to drive, there is a reason it wasn't equiped with all seasons.

#11 ·
I'm guessing........... Ford, in an attempt to streamline things, has the opinion that serious buyers will get the manual transmission and therefore offer performance options such as the brake package and choice of gear. These are not options on the automatic. Both of these options require different tunes and testing (the gear is a quick change, but still requires some amount of testing). Since the automatic is geared differently from the manual and the brake package has a custom ECS tune, Ford doesn't have to mess with it. In other words, the automatic comes as is, end of discussion.

#14 ·
I went the safe route and just picked up GT500 Wheels. Which was EXPENSIVE. but a blessing in disguise as he also had a set of GT500 Brembo brake kit for $500. so I'll pick that up and get some spacers for the winter when I swap off my GT500 wheels to make clearance for the Brakes.

the Brembos need a GT500 wheel or equivalent to fit or a pair of spacers, but that's a gamble it seems

#15 ·
Ordering the Brembo package also gets you upgraded tires and wheels. If you price the three major components out separately it will cost you a lot more than the $1,695 Ford charges.

Greg

#18 ·
I think better tires are worth 3 or 4 feet, and the brembos are worth another 3 or 4 feet in 60-0 stopping times.

As i recall my model did very good in that test..and it has the same breaks as the standard 2011 GT but i have the summer tires also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.