Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for me the time has come to store my Mustang away for the coming winter months. Unfortunatly I do not have a garage yet to store it in. So I thought I might pass along some tips of what I do in case some of you out there are doing the same thing.
1. Purchase a good car cover that is designed for the outdoor elements, rain-snow -wind and oh yes bird poo.
2.Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer. If you leave the tank empty you might get condensation build up and have water in the tank or corroded fuel lines later.
3. I jack up the car on blocks- wood or cement- resting it on the suspension.
4. Remove wheels and store them inside resting down on their sides, make sure your wrap up the brake rotors real good with plastic bags to prevent any moisture to build up on them.
5. Remove the battery and store indoors.
6. This is optional, but I purchase a can of Rust Check it's an oil based spray of rust protection that does a very good job. I spray it in the drain holes of the doors, hatch/trunk, and hood.
That's it! until late April when I put it all back together and start driving it. I live in the province of Ontario, Canada so this has become a ritual for me,all you folks that live in the southern states are so lucky. Frank...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Winter storage

Gee I can't believe I forgot this one, the coolant! Make sure it is good for cold temperature's mine is good for -40F or you could drain it but you would have to drain the block as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hey Frank,

Great Winter Storage Tips!

While I am now residing in Long Beach California, I am originally from Newfoundland Canada and have lived in Ontario Canada for over ten years. I know all to well what you mean when you say "storing your car for the winter".

My 89 5.0 stang is still in Newfoundland and is safely tucked away for the winter. As part of my yearly storage ritual, I too follow the tips you listed in your post with the addition of one other ... I also pull the plugs and spray a squirt of oil in each cylinder.

This year I added two new and interesting items to my winter storage list. Both of which I purchased from the Eastwood Company. One was replacing each spark plug with a threaded spark plug like Desiccant Plug ($8.99) which is designed to absorb moisture from the combustion chamber area. The second was adding a can of engine protectant ($11.95) to the crankcase. This is a corrosion inhibiting oil additive that is supposed to protect by releasing corrosion inhibitors in the air within your engine (for up to 24 months) and by metal contact through the lubricating system. This might very well be overkill but since the car is in long term storage I figure the engine can use the added moisture protection.

Best of luck with your winter storage project and remember..... the best thing about storing your stang for the winter is think of the opportunity for upgrades! :)

Cheers,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Scott! I didn't realize there were such products out there for that purpose. I"m going to order them right away sounds like a very good idea to me. Nothing like overkill!!
My hat goes of to you and all the rest of the moderators on this forum, it is very informative and helpfull. Thanks a bunch!
Frank...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
winter storage

hey frank, i just got my stang a couple of weeks ago, (and im tottaly not ready to put it away yet :) but i guess thats the downside of living in Canada) i live in mississauga (toronto) and i wanna know why you jack up your car on blocks? and should all the steps you listed be followed even if im storing my car in the garage??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: winter storage

OK, the reason I jack up the car on blocks is mainly letting the weight of the car sit on the tires for so long will create a flat spot on all for tires come spring and render them useless. Another reason is ultraviolet rays from the sun and reflection of the snow will prematurely crack the sidewalls and this might sound goofy, but so no one can STEAL THEM.
If you are going to store your car in a garage the steps are the same except two, if your garage is always heated then your worries of a cracked engine block won't happen and the car cover is not a necessity but it does keep the dust off and might prevent a scratch or dent from happening. You know when the kids leave the snow shovel leaning on it and the wife discovers a nice large shelf just created to store junk on it! Hey it happens. Nice to see some Canadian boys on this website I thought I was the only one on for a while. Take care..Frank Thunder Bay Ontario

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: winter storage

Yes, me too. I've only had my 94 Mustang GT for about 3 months and it's time to store. But I've been really happy with the weather. I've been hanging in there and putting it off for 3 weeks now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winter Storage Question!!!! Help!

:help:

Hi All.. I getting ready to store my 65 coupe for the winter since a ground up resto that took 3 years & wanted to know if anywone knows if it's best to remove the battery from the car before I store it for the next 5 - 6 months???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave - [email protected]

or

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
storing the stang for winter...what should i do?

alrighty guys... i bought a winter beater cuz i can not stand seeing the stang suffer on the salted roads any longer..... OHIO ROADS ARE THE WORST!....

i need to know what should i do ...if there are any secrets to storing a car for monthes at a time..... i dont want spring to come and i hop in my ride and it be not the same as i left it. please help me out.

TJ Mozik
1994 Mustang GT:help:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well you will need to put some fuel stabalizer in the tank and let the car run for a few minutes so that it can run through the injectors and such. also, might want to put the car up on jack stands or something to keep from getting 'flat' spots on the tires. Will make for a very rough and bumpy ride when you drive it again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I store mine all winter too. I always put fuel stabilizer, HEET, and injector cleaner in and then fill up the tank most of the way. I go start it once every two weeks and let it run for about 20 minutes at idle.

With this recipe I have had no problems other than the flat spots and rusty brake rotors. Those things go back to normal once you drive it for a while though. Just be careful with your first few stops. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need some help--how do you drain old gas-- have tried putting a hose in the filler but something is blocking it--thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great tips, all. Any changes for storage over a matter of years vs months? I'm headed overseas for at least a couple years, can't take the 'stang with me :doh:. She'll be stored in a relatively dry climate inside a Haulmark trailer while I'm gone.

Thanks in advance.
:cool:

·
Registered
861 Posts
glad i live in florida

·
Registered
63 Posts
How-To MICE FREE ?

OK car collectors - here is a problem I am STILL concerned about.
How do you keep those little rodents - mostly MICE - from attacking
your classic vehicle over the winter. YES, I do store my vehicle in a garage,
but it is unheated. So far I have been lucky, and not had
any mice set-up home in my 1967 coupe, but want to KEEP IT
THAT WAY.
I have heard that "BOUNCE" fabric softner sheets will work if
placed in the motor compartment and in the interrior. I don't know
this for sure, but have been told this.
ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP THE MICE OUT of my classic
car??
Thank you.
Joseph2097

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know of any good outdoor car covers for a 69 coupe? I live in Montana and its gonna have to be stored outside for the next few months... :(

Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars but I need something that will be good enough for what I need.

suggestions??

·
Registered
12 Posts
winter storage

I guess I am turning out to be a puny Mustang owner although I love to drive the convertible with the top down on sunny days. My wife and I plan a small trip from there Reading area to the Trenton area on Sunday.
But on Nov. 12, an insurance due date, I will garage her until the end of March. Remember, this 2000 V6 is from Fla. with only 20,000 and has never seen snow. The family seems to think this is a good idea.
Replacing the summer tires was a $500-plus investment, my daughter, who drives it 98 percent of the time, is scared to tackle the winter weather.
Quite frankly, after talking to several Mustang owners whom I happened across, there wasn't much encouragement. The consensus was not to bother.
So we bought a front-wheel drive 1999 Bonneville SSE for the winter. (It cost three grand for those who must know). Guess this makes me a traitor or something.
But for you members who have Ford blood in your veins, I will put snow tires on my Mark VII which will remain the second car.
I will be able to run Mustang's the engine and move it in and out of the garage as needed.
Is there anything I should know about caring for a car which is in this semi-"storage" state?
thanks

bobo
[email protected]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good choice... Keep that pony out of the snow!

I usually put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, and I plan on puttting a battery trickle charger on it this year. I haven't in past years, but I've made up my mind to this year!

As far as running it, my understanding is the best thing to do is to take it out for a spin on a nice sunny day, although you may not be able to because of the insurance situation. I think it's actually worse to start it up, let it idle, and then switch it off, because of moisture in the engine, or something.

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
I really not not drive mine in the winter I just keep the fuel tank full of fuel and keep the trickle charger on it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.